Monday, March 19, 2012

Fitting Remarks: Just Shut Up and Run

By Jessie

As we have mentioned several times by now, LL and I were in Big Sky, Montana over the past 4 days. We had three full days of skiing/snowboarding on the mountain, with one day of rest (i.e. shopping and Norris Hot Springs).

This morning, our alarms went off at 3:00 am, for the drive back to Bozeman for a 6 am flight.

Unfortunately (though fortunately for those who still had another day to ski!) Big Sky/Bozeman received more than 10 inches of snow overnight and into the morning. This led to nearly a two hour delay on our flight. We didn't end up at our house until after 11 am, when I had originally planned to go into work with a 9 am return.

So...I only ran once in Big Sky, so I HAD to get my long run in today.

I had so many excuses not to run....
  • It was over 70 degrees- didn't my body need to adjust a bit after spending 4 days in the snow and 20 degree temps?
  • It was over the lunch hour- I never run well on an empty stomach.
  • My body was SORE- snowboarding out West for three days left my legs and core quite tired and sore. My tailbone was sore too from many a fall on those challenging runs!
  • I was TIRED- I had slept a bit on the flight, but I was still pretty tired.
  • My Garmin was dead (this ended up to be a blessing in disguise).
I listed off all my excuses to my husband, who listened patiently as he always does. Eventually, he said kindly, "you're wasting a lot of time coming up with excuses, why don't you just go run?" i.e. SHUT UP AND RUN!

So I did...and yes, it was pretty miserable. I was glad I didn't have my Garmin with me, as I would have been very discouraged to see how slowly I was running. I had to take several walk breaks, and desperately needed more fuel and hydration. (Though the temps are warm, the water fountains aren't back on yet). However, I survived, and I am glad that I shut up and ran.

I can chalk it up to one bad run, and move forward to the next GREAT run.


When you have a million excuses not to run...my husband's advice? 
Just SHUT UP AND RUN!



No comments:

Post a Comment