Sunday, October 26, 2014

Weekly Recap: Tapering for the Outer Banks Marathon and the Brooks Heritage Line


Welcome to the final week of October! Can you believe it? This month has been so much fun, but it definitely flew by. 

Let me fill you in on what's happening at the Right Fits in Fitness and Fitness Fashion this past week.

Here's what's happening in fitness:

Monday: 6.75 miles in the morning with my friend Kelly and my dog Matilda. Then, [solidcore] MSP in the evening. I loved [solidcore] MSP so much, but honestly I was sore for three days! It kind of made the rest of the week a challenge for fitness.

Tuesday: I was still sore from [solidcore] MSP but I had a track workout on the schedule. It consisted of about 2 miles to warm-up, then 2 sets of 1600-800-800. There were 30 seconds of recovery between the 800's and one lap (400) between the sets. I did about 1.5 miles to cool-down for 8.5 miles total. This was a tough night for me. I struggled to hit my goal paces for this one. My legs were tired from the 60 mile week the week before and of course from the [solidcore] MSP workout. It's time to really focus on resting now during the taper.

Wednesday: 4 miles easy.

Thursday: 7 miles with 20 minutes of tempo pace, 1 hour kettlebell/strength class with Ericka at Balance Fitness. Great class!

Friday: complete rest day.

Saturday: 15 mile long run. After my long run, I checked out some of the speakers at the Minnesota Blogger's Conference. I learned some useful things, particularly on the technology side, which is not my strong suit. Stay tuned for some big changes on The Right Fits!

Sunday: easy 4 mile run with Matilda

Summary: 2 strength days, 1 rest day, and 6 days of running. My mileage decreased by about 25% from last week's 60 miles. I plan to decrease it another 25% this week to about 35 miles.  

It's definitely taper time now for the Outer Banks Marathon. As often happens during the taper, I caught a cold, which I consider the "curse of the taper." I've been taking it easy trying to fight it off but I'm hoping I'll be back to full strength by November 9th.

For more tips on the taper, check out this post.

Here's what's happening in fitness fashion:

All the real Brooks ambassadors have been blogging about this for months; I'm a little behind the curve.

Though I may not be an official Brooks ambassador, I think I am a Brooks ambassador at heart!
I mean, I have been running in Adrenalines and Ravennas for all 16 of my marathons...

I can't help but get excited about all the cool stuff Brooks is coming out with.

Hold onto your sports bras, ladies, there's some fun stuff coming your way from Brooks!

First of all, they have added shoes to their Nightlife lineThese are basically one step down from glowing in the dark, with totally amped up reflectiveness. You might remember the Nightlife line from an event I attended last fall at Marathon Sports running store (read about it HERE).

At that time, the Nightlife line only included apparel. I'm really excited to see that it now includes shoes, especially since it includes my shoe of choice, the Ravennas!

Secondly, Brooks has launched this awesome Heritage Line of sneakers. I think this gold pair of the Brooks Vanguards are my favorites.

I also like the simple blue ones
null
I am definitely considering ordering a pair of these soon.  I love the throwback style and I have also read that these Heritage shoes each represent a piece of Brooks history. Each shoe has a story that comes with it, including the famous athletes who wore the shoes- so fun! I'm hoping that Brooks adds some apparel (fitness fashion!) to the Heritage line, as I am sure I would love it.

Let me know what you think of these new shoes from Brooks!

I hope you had a great week! Did you try anything new in fitness or fitness fashion? Did you check out the MN Bloggers Conference? What did you think?
Please share!

3 comments:

  1. Love those vintage Brooks! Also, did I see a sneak peak of your new blog look?! It looked awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love them too- I ended up ordering the gold ones right after I published this post...I couldn't resist! I think they will be a great pair for walking the dog etc.

      Yes, you did get a sneak peak...it's a work in progress though, stay tuned and thanks for the nice feedback erin!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh the bloggers conference sounds awesome! Can't wait to see some of your changes! I could use some major help on the technology side of my blog, too, and also some photography help. Maybe I'll see if there's something like this in Montana somewhere...

    Thanks for another great post, Jessie! Love that jacket you posted by Brooks! :)

    ReplyDelete