Monday, June 18, 2012

Guest Fits: Married to Fitness - Fathers Day Edition

Guest Fit by the D-man


It's been a little while since I've had an opportunity to share my insights on what it's like to be married to fitness, but my unique father's day present seems a good topic.  


In case you haven't figured it out from Cool J's posts, she's rather fond of trying out whatever new fangled fitness studio rolls into our hood.  Her most recent focus has been Pure Barre which she covered it in a recent post .   It turns out they were offering free classes on Father's Day for ladies to bring their men, so guess where I ended up.  


Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of yoga and will try anything once but I was a slightly more nervous than usual for this one.  I will point out is that it's small isometric movements using a ballet barre set to motivating music meant to tone and firm which apparently involves frequent hip thrusts, "tuck freeze, tuck hold".  The only thing I could picture was just just about every 80's aerobics stereotype, best exemplified by Jamie Lee Curtis in 1985's Perfect:




The reality was far more normal and reminiscient of yoga poses with small movements to really work the hell out of your small stabilizing muscles.  My only complaint is with Cool J.  Every time she takes me to one of these type classes she gets a kick out of grabbing me weights about two sizes too big (but small to the untrained eye) only to watch me fall apart on the 100th repetition of tiny tricep extensions. 


Will I go again?  Perhaps but my dance card is pretty full these days.  As a fan of whole body fitness, work outs like that go a long way to stabilizing joints and helping to prevent muscle imbalances.   For the moment I plan on working more climbing and paddle boarding into my routine but variety is always welcome.  


Speaking of which, when I finally get Cool J into vertical endeavors, it'll be my turn to humble her a bit....

1 comment: