Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fitting Remarks: A Reflection on my 2014 Minneapolis Summer Bucket List

Labor Day has passed us by, so I suppose I should concede that summer is on it's way out... It doesn't officially end until September 22, but I figure it's time for me to reflect upon my summer bucket list and see how I did. Here we go!

1. Leave  a note for the elf on Lake Harriet. Come back later and search for a personalized response.

Done! I left him a note on a Sunday and came back to see what he had to say a few days later.

I asked him what the secret is to becoming a faster runner like him. He told me below...
The secret to speed is to be a maniac! Good to know. I'll get right on that.

2. Take an outdoor yoga class with the Yoga Garage
Sort of...I wasn't able to take a class with Meggan as the instructor because her Wednesday night class conflicted with the strength conditioning for runners class I took at the Calhoun Beach Club. I was, however, able to take a special morning yoga class with Luminous Yoga with Meggan as another participant!


I also fit in another one of Emily's (of Luminous Yoga) regular classes last Tuesday. It was lovely! Tonight is your last chance for outdoor yoga with The Yoga Garage on Isles (Wednesday at 6:30 pm).

3. Bike to SeaSalt Eatery
Done! We did this over Labor Day weekend.  The line for food was crazy long, but it was worth it. I loved my shrimp tacos and we also shared some pickled herring.

I think I get bonus points as we also made it to Sandcastle on Lake Nokomis this summer (Doug Flicker's joint). We had never been here before and stopped by for lunch after checking out the Wiener Dog races on Labor Day weekend.

4. Stand-up paddleboard
Sort of...We paddleboarded quite a bit at the cabin this summer...

...but never in Minneapolis, which is a  bit of a fail, especially because we even bought one of THESE to pull the boards behind our bikes. We'll be ready for next summer I suppose!

5. Spend an afternoon on the Relaxation Station
Done! I definitely accomplished this at the cabin this summer. But the new star of the lake was the fun station. Not quite as relaxing as the relaxation station but it’s good to know we have a station for every necessary cabin emotion...


6. See a bear
Fail. No bears. My spellcheck changed that to beers. There were plenty of beers this summer, but no bears.

7. Make it to a Twins Game. Bonus Points- take a Nice Ride bike to get there. Extra Bonus points: Get on the kiss cam!

 I did this twice- once with my work team and once with Dustin in the Legends Club. No bonus points though. That would have been pretty awkward to get on the kiss cam with my work team, right?

8. Go to a church supper in a small town- preferably a lutefisk dinner
Fail. I had planned to go to strawberry festival in Little Cannon Falls, but we had the wrong weekend and missed it completely. I did, however, participate in a small town 5k! That should count for half a point, maybe?

9. Catch a pike or another “big” fish. (A Muskie would be bonus points!)
Fail. I don't even think I picked up a fishing pole but I did put a worm on a hook for one of my nephews. That should count for something!


10. Eat something on a stick at the Minnesota State Fair.
Not quite. Dustin and I made our yearly trek to the fair (read all about it HERE), but I never actually had anything on a stick. Even if I had tried, I sure couldn't have eaten as many items on a stick as THIS GIRL <-- holy cow, that's impressive! But I did get a full fair experience, minus the actual something-on-a-stick.

12. Attend a summer concert at the Lake Harriet bandshell
Done. We walked over there a few weekends ago for some music. It was so lovely! Sometimes I forget how beautiful Lake Harriet is, but this was a timely reminder.

13. Pick a winner of Best Jucy Lucy between the 5-8 Club and Matt’s Bar.
Done! I went to the 5-8 Club for the first time a few weekends ago. I have to admit their Jucy Lucy was really good. It's such a tough call, I don't know which one is better! I think they are both awesome. So maybe I didn't actually pick a winner, but at least I have tried them both and can have an opinion.

14. See an outdoor movie in the park.
Fail...I had high hopes of going to see Back to the Future at the Linden Hills park in August, but something came up and it didn't fit in my schedule.  I'll have to try again next summer!

15. Lawn bowling at Brit’s Pub
Fail...This just never happened. Next year!

16. Go to the Mill City Farmer’s Market
Fail, though I did make it to the Linden Hill Farmer's Market multiple times. 

FYI, you can now bring your dog to the Linden Hills Farmer's Market, which is new from last summer. Our neighbor's food truck, Hot Indian, often makes an appearance there. If you haven't tried this food truck, you should!

17. Have an ice cream date at Sebastian Joe’s
Done! We walked over to the Linden Hills location last Saturday night after fully recovering from the capitol run. Dustin had the ginger ice cream and I had the Open Street's Cycle-delic (mango, chocolate chips, sea salt, raspberry). Yum!


18. Go to an old-school drive-in...

























19. Go to Taylors Falls and the Franconia Sculpture Park!
DONE and DONE! Read all about it in THIS POST. We combined these three items into one lovely summer day.




20. Run a trail race
DONE, DONE, and DONE. And maybe more this fall --> I am registered for THIS RACE and one of THESE

21. See the Lake Creature!
Fail...we never met over to see Minnie the lake creature on Lake Powderhorn. Sorry Minnie...

22. Visit Isles Bun & Coffee
Done! 

We headed here after the City of Lakes half marathon for a quick lemonade and a puppy dog tail (to celebrate Dustin's sub-1:30 PR!) Sugar overload....Dustin went with the big cinnamon roll and the unlimited frosting, I did a puppy dog tail.



23.  Visit Wild Rumpus bookstore
Done! No pictures, but I did stop by here a couple of times when we were in the area, but not with my nieces or nephews (which would have been more fun...) If you have young kids or neices/nephews, take them HERE, they will love it!

24. Bonus: Pizza Farm!
Done! Read all about it HERE. I'm pretty sure this will be on my fall bucket list as well, as it was a lot of fun.


Well, there you have it- my reflection on my summer bucket list!

I think I did pretty well, but there were some things I didn't fit in that I really wish I would have. I suppose there's always next summer. Stay tuned for my fall bucket list, coming soon!

**As summer comes to a close, did you squeeze in everything you had hoped to? Please share in the comments!  

Please share any fall or winter bucket list items that you think I should add to my upcoming list!

8 comments:

  1. I don't know of any lutefisk dinners in the summer (they seem to be a winter/christmas thing) so give yourself a pass on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Katie, good to know! Is there a local lutefisk dinner you know of that I should try this fall/winter?

      Delete
  2. I did pretty good on my summer list but I am planning on squeezing a couple things in yet this weekend! I do wish we would have fit in more paddleboarding though...we tried it once and enjoyed it but never made it out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked paddleboarding! What do you have left to squeeze in? I suppose I could still try to do some of my missing ones this weekend since summer is not OFFICIALLY over :-)

      Delete
  3. You did so many fun things! Great job! I LOVE the picture of Matilda with you on the paddleboard-- too cute! I don't think there's any way in the world we'd get our Vizsla out on a paddleboard. We'd have to bribe him with lots of treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matilda loves being ON the water...but definitely not IN the water! But yeah, its strange for some reason she really likes being on the paddleboard or in a boat, but panics when she falls in and has to swim. Does your vizsla swim?

      Delete
  4. What a fun summer you had! Sad to say, we didn't do much other than swimbikerun. May have to get to Sea Salt once before it closes! And, there's an elf on Lake Harriet?! Whaaaa?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I am sure Ironman training consumed your life this summer, but it was worth it- you did so great!

      YES- you must stop and leave a letter for Mr. Little Guy on Lake Harriet. So cute.

      Delete