Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fit Fanatic: Dome Delight!

By Cool J in Minneapolis

Another cold day in Minneapolis means another workout at the Dome!

I gave you all the gory details in this POST, but here are the basics and some useful links again:

Every Tuesday and Thursday through March 21   
MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association) sponsored Dome running begins on Tuesday, November 20, 2012.
Dome running is open every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., cost is $1. Every Tuesday/Thursday through March 21. 
The MDRA turns the Metrodome into the place to be twice a week during the dark,cold and icy winter nights!  Running is from 5:00-8:00 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday and it costs $1.  2 1/2 laps around the concourse equals a mile. 
Enter gate D. You can park free in the upper Dome lot. 
The weather wasn't quite as cold today as the last time I went to the Dome, but the winds were brutal. A dome workout seemed like a good choice! There was a mix of people training for Boston, Green Bay, Minneapolis, San Diego, Grandma's, and Newport so Coach Paul offered up a few different workout options. For Newport, we ran a 5 lap warmup. Then we did 3 laps at tempo interval pace, and then a 1 minute break. We did this circuit 3 times, and then a 4 lap cool down.
{Jen and I running our tempo intervals}
It was a challenging workout, but it felt good to work up a good sweat in shorts! Jen pointed out that it was motivating to be around all the speedy runners who were also doing workouts, and I definitely agreed. Yet I also like the Dome because it feels like it's your own workout. No one really knows what lap you're on, and people are going both directions. The inner runners are going one direction, and the outer runners are going the other. Who knows who's going how fast...it's all individual.

{Yay for Dome running!}

We must have been running too fast for my (cheap) new camera to catch us, ha! Actually, I picked up a cheap camera for blogging, as apparently I've been a little rough on our other camera....so stay tuned for many more blurry running pictures!


2 comments:

  1. Fun! I just did a search for Metrodome running and your post popped up. I think we'll try it tomorrow night.

    And I'm even more intrigued, because I live in Minneapolis and MY sister lives in Kansas City!

    Looking forward to reading more--glad I discovered your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Rebecca! How funny that your sister lives in KC and you live in Mpls! Hopefully you find our blog entertaining and useful! It's kind of a mix of fitness and fashion.

    Let me know if you have any questions on Dome running.

    ReplyDelete