Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday's Favorite Fit: The Runner's World Cookbook

By Cool J in Minneapolis

"Friday's Favorite Fit" was on a short hiatus (I blame Berlin!) But don't worry, now it's back, and today's favorite fit is the Runner's World Cookbook:
Have you ordered a copy of the Runner’s World Cookbook?

No?

What are you waiting for?!?

Runners, you will LOVE this cookbook! It has 150 easy, delicious, and QUICK recipes loaded with all the right vitamins and protein that you need to "perform better during your workout, and recover faster!"

Well that’s what they say will happen if you eat meals made from recipes in this cookbook, but let's be honest,  I haven’t become any faster...but I have found these recipes to be tasty, and they seem to be pretty healthy. All the nutritional facts are included on each recipe, and I think you'll be pleased with the stats.

Most of the recipes have corresponding pictures in the book, which I always enjoy. What can I say, I like to see if the dish looks appetizing before making it.

I received my copy late last week, and have already made several recipes from it. 

First, I baked up a batch of the hearty whole grain breakfast muffins. 
They are packed full of healthy ingredients like whole wheat flour, flaxseed, almonds, and dried fruit. They were super simple to make and they were good for the whole week in a Tupperware container.



I loved having these around to grab on the go when I’m running out the door on my way to work. It’s a much better option that grabbing an unhealthy scone at Starbucks with my morning Americano. I plan to make another batch this weekend to tide me over next week as well. The muffins are hearty and filling: definitely a recipe I will be using frequently. 

I also made one of the recovery smoothies last weekend: the immune-boosting raspberry-almond smoothie.

It was really unique. I loved the touch of ginger, and it actually filled me up after a 7 mile run on Sunday. Dustin said it was a little “tart” – perhaps from the kefir? However, I really enjoyed this smoothie, and will be making it again.

The cookbook categorizes each recipe as “pre-run”, “recovery”, “low-calorie”, "vegetarian," and/or “fast”. Honestly all of the recipes have been pretty simple and fast. We had the shrimp and bean quesadilla the other night for dinner- (so good). Another night, I made the salmon salad sandwiches. The Cashew Butter and Mango Chutney Sandwich was my breakfast on one morning this week, when I needed some variety from the hearty muffins.  I love cottage cheese, but hadn’t really ever had it for breakfast. According to the cookbook, this breakfast “contains the essential fats to help keep you satisfied, absorb nutrients, protect heart health, reduce injury, and decrease joint pain.”

I was particularly pleased to see one of Deena Kastor’s recipes in the cookbook, and it was a recipe that I was already familiar with from the Runner's World magazine. Dustin and I have been making Deena’s caramelized onion/fig/goat cheese pizza for years, and it’s one of our favorites. So good! Definitely try that recipe when you get your copy of the cookbook.
 
source
The cookbook is about $30 on the Runner’s World website, though I see it on Amazon for only $17. Either way, its still well worth the price tag. I highly recommend that you pick up a copy. This cookbook makes a great Christmas present too for one of your runner friends, (or non-runner friends.) Order your copy today, and start cooking!

P.S. Happy anniversary Dustin. Five years today!


Curious about past Friday's Favorite Fits? Here is the whole list!

9/20: run msp t-shirts at gear
9/13: bkr resusable water bottle
9/6: knuckle lights
8/30: the best carbo loading recipe
8/23: nine west polka dot heels
8/16: the lululemon bitty bracer
8/9: tasteful animal prints
7/26: trigger point foam roller
7/21: outdoor yoga in mpls
6/28: bold colors and patterns
6/21: trail running
6/14 gal pal garment deodorant remover
6/7 the sock bun
5/31 the white oxford shirt
5/17 toms shoes
5/10 bic bands
5/3 race day with a first timer
4/26 cobalt blue
4/19 lululemon wunder under crop
4/12 i run this body t-shirt

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great information. I found that Barnes and Nobel have this cookbook and will be picking one up later today. BTW - Love your wedding pictures...absolutely beautiful! Happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete