Saturday, September 22, 2012

Finding my Fantastic Fit: Sports Bra Review

By Jess

So many to choose from...


If you have run with me,  you have probably heard me complain about the sports bra chafing that I deal with on a regular basis. And I know that I am not alone in this struggle. Several of my run club girlfriends have expressed similar complaints, and have similar battle scars to show for it!

Honestly, it's very common to have the issue right in the front, under the bra, as displayed in the below picture. (And this picture isn't even as gruesome as it gets!)

{This is not me, but this is exactly where I get it!}
{I also get it on the back, under the seam and under the fatty upper arm/armpit.}

I've tried the regular suggestions, such as Body Glide. 

Body Glide helps, but what you really need is a fantastic fit for a sports bra.

I completely understand that everyone's body is different. Our ta-tas come in different shapes and sizes! What has worked for me may not work for you. Yet all I can do is share my personal experience, and maybe it will help someone! After all, I have tried A LOT of different sport bras, so I do have a little bit of insight.

And unfortunately, out of all the sports bras I have tried, many did not make it into my running rotation for more than one run. I have started many inaugural runs in a new bra, hopeful and excited that maybe this is the one, only to quickly discover that the new item was just another Failed Fit.

First of all, Nike sports bras are a huge failed fit. They come in great colors, and I so wish they fit. But they don't. They are the worst for me for chafing.

Champion's seamless bras work okay for a few runs, but they quickly lose their elasticity and need to be tossed. Unfortunately, there is a reason they are so much easier on the pocket book.

Many of my runner friends have referred me to Moving Comfort. This brand is carried at Athleta stores, as well as most running stores and general sports sports (like Dick's Sporting Goods in the Twin Cities area). They are a brand that designs apparel just for women, and most people feel that it shows in the quality of their products.

First, I tried the Juno Sports Bra by Moving Comfort. It was a little pricey (nearly $60) but from the reviews, it sounded like it should work- high-impact support, designed for no-chafing, etc.


But the back closure was really uncomfortable and chafed me really badly on my first 8 miler. I tried it again for a short 4 miler, and it was just as bad. Failed Fit.

So then I tried the Vixen Bra, also by Moving Comfort.
This bra doesn't have a back closure, but has a dotted lining. Let's just say that rather than a line of chafing, (like in the first picture from above), I ended up with a dotted pattern of chafing. Not pretty. Failed Fit.
{Dotted lining- stay away from it!}


I have had pretty good luck with Lululemon and Athleta. I wrote about the Athleta sports bra last November in this post.

{Bra-na-na by Athleta}

Their bra-na-na fits well, but it's not for high-impact activities like running 50+ miles a week. I felt like it was good for layering under other tighter running clothes in the winter, but in the summer, there was just a little too much bouncing, if you get my drift.


So....am I just going to complain about bras that don't work or only work for awhile, or are only so-so?

Nope!

I believe I have found a bra that is my fantastic fit! This bra is...


This is also a moving comfort bra. 
No back closures, no dotted lining. Seamless. Secure. 
Tight enough along the edges that it doesn't chafe.
(and fun colors!)


The Moving Comfort Women's Serena Bra is a Fantastic Fit for me!
I highly recommend this bra, and recently purchased a few more for the rotation.
It retails around $38, though I did find it here for much cheaper.
Definitely a price that Fits the Bill!

And for advice on how to care for your moving comfort sports bra? Watch this video!

HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR SPORTS BRA


1 comment:

  1. This is the most comfortable bra ever. I notice it especially when I am sitting or driving in a car for a long time. Even if a bra fits well standing up, sometimes it feels too tight when in other positions. I don't even think about having this one on. I strongly recommend wonderbra 7708

    ReplyDelete