Sunday, June 29, 2014

Weekly Recap(s): Goodbye to June and a Beautiful Basilica Wedding!

We spent last weekend at the cabin, and as I blabbed about in THIS post, I do love weekends at the cabin. However, there is no internet access, so not a lot of blogging can happen while I'm there.  I realized that I missed last week's recap, so today, I'll quickly share my workouts for the past two weeks.

Week of June 16-22:
Monday: 7.5 mile run in the AM
Tuesday: Lebanon 10k Trail Run (recap HERE)
Wednesday: 4 mile run with Matilda
Thursday: 45 minute mini-barre class at The Barre
Friday: Long run at the cabin - 11 miles, then some paddle-boarding!
Saturday: 6 mile run at the cabin, then some paddle-boarding!
Sunday: 4.5 mile run at the cabin

As you can see, that week included a lot of running (almost 40 miles) and not so much strength training. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes when we go to the cabin. Running is the easiest thing to do while we're there. I'm happy that at least I fit in one barre class, and the stand-up paddle boarding could be considered cross training, right?

On to the week of June 22-29:
Monday: Complete rest! After the 40 miles the week before, I figured I needed an extra day of rest. Instead, we went to the HotList (read about it HERE)

Tuesday: 7 mile run with the CBRC. I'm going to start going to run club now as much as I can this training season. Even though I much prefer to run in the morning, I strongly believe that my best training seasons have been those where I consistently ran with the club, and I don't just mean on Saturdays for the long runs. I'm going to make attending run club a priority as much as possible during the week. I also think running during a hotter part of the day is better preparation for any potential hot weather races. Of course there will be days where I have commitments in the evening and I still have to run in the morning, yet as much as possible, I hope to be back at the CBRC!

Wednesday: 4 mile run with Matilda

Thursday: 6.75 mile run with Theresa and Kelly in the morning.

Friday: 12 mile long run. I had the day off of work for my friend Caroline's wedding, so I got the long run out of the way. A group of us started bright and early (5:15 am!) It was hot and humid, but I managed to shuffle through 12 miles.

My biggest struggle for this run was that I definitely didn't fuel correctly the night before. I had hosted book club, and it was a throw back book ("Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, by Judy Blume"- do you remember this book?) I had 80/90s themed snacks, like sloppy joe's, puppy chow, and pigs in a blanket.

As the host, I was busy, and I just didn't eat enough (that's unfortunately not my plate in the picture above).  I wasn't fueled correctly, and felt really hungry and weaker than normal during the run. 12 miles on Bugel chips and a glass or two of white wine was not smart fueling for a long run...

But even though my run suffered the next morning, book club was a blast! Kelly definitely won the prize for best throwback outfit, with her Doc Martins, Jansport backpack, choker necklace, and jean jacket.
Perfection!

I went with tight rolled jeans, socks with sandals, and a side pony tail.  
Some trends should never come back, right?

Back to the fitness recap.
Saturday: Complete rest. After the wedding on Friday, I needed to sleep in. In the afternoon, I had a bridal shower for another friend, which was lovely.

Sunday: 1 hour barre class at The Barre and then a 4 mile easy run with Matilda. Then two hours of hiking at Willow River State Park. I will post more pictures from that hike later, but it was great!

Total: About 35 miles of running, 1 barre class, 2 complete rest days.

Upcoming Strength Training! This week, I am starting a 10 week "Kettlebell/Strength Training" class for runners at the Calhoun Beach Club. There are still spots available if you are interested! $120/10 classes, or $15 for a drop in, Wednesdays from 6-7 pm. Let me know!

....I quickly skipped over the Friday wedding, so let me return to that special event. The wedding was held at the Basilica of St. Mary, which is so beautiful.

The skies had looked a little gray earlier in the day, but the rain held off for the ceremony.
outside the Basilica

The reception was held at the St. Paul History Center, which was so lovely. I have to say, the food was really good! Wedding food isn't always that fabulous, but the food at this wedding definitely exceeded expectations.

I started with a pear salad and then the goat cheese ravioli. Yum!

After dinner, toasts, and dessert, it was time for the dance floor. This group of girls loves to dance, so we didn't hesitate to bust a move!

By the way, in fashion, I wore a repeat dress to this wedding- it was this Kate Spade dress  (similar dress HERE now on sale!) that I bought last August for my cousin's wedding. Look at me, repeating dresses (like I did at the HotList) - Functional Fits! This dress was a little pricey for me (though I love it and think it was worth every penny) so I am glad I had an opportunity to wear it again...and it has pockets! Who doesn't love pockets?

The wedding was a really fun night, and I'm so glad I got to be a part of the couple's big day. 
Congrats Caroline and Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment