Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fits Do Fitness Class Reviews: Boxing at TITLE Boxing Club

By Jess in Minneapolis

Earlier this week, it was Aerial Fitness....today was boxing! A friend of mine has become a member at TITLE Boxing Club in Edina. She has a new-found passion for this hard-core workout, and she invited Dustin and me to try it out with her this morning.

This morning was brutally cold, so heading indoors to get a serious sweat sounded like a fabulous idea. 
We arrived 15 minutes early for the 9 am class, and filled out the necessary paperwork. Then a super friendly instructor fitted Dustin and me with the hand wraps. It was a bit of a complex process to wrap the hands, but I felt pretty hard core once they were on! (Is pink still hard-core?)
He gave us each a pair of boxing gloves and told us to head over and pick out a bag. I believe there were about 60 bags in the space. Though this morning's class was busy, there were still enough empty bags for us to find a spot within good site of the instructor.

The studio itself was quite large, very bright and clean, with cubbies for your personal items. I noticed a few showers, as well as some weightlifting equipment and treadmills. There was also a full-on boxing ring in the space for actual sparring!

The class started with a 10-15 minute warmup, which included some stretching and then plenty of cardio. It included some jogging, jumping jacks, side stepping, high knees, skips, and more. I started to sweat during the warmup, and was all pumped up by the end to start the boxing!

The basic structure of the regular boxing class includes eight sets of three minutes of boxing, with one minute "active rest" in between. During the "active rest" we definitely weren't resting- we were doing burpees, pushups, squats, and more! Sometimes we would incorporate some planks too. After each "one minute rest," we were back to the boxing.

There was a timer/clock in the corner that kept track of our "rounds." I thought it was a nice touch!

The instructor wore a headset with a microphone, so I could usually hear her instructions pretty well. There were a few times that I had a little trouble seeing her demonstrating the moves, as she frequently moved around the class to give guidance. However, it wasn't usually too hard to follow along, as the sequences were generally straightforward with a  combination of "jab", "cross", "uppercut", and "hook."

I have only taken one bag boxing class at the Firm, and that was many years ago. I have, however, taken quite a bit of kickboxing over the years.  How many of you had a video of Billy Blanks Tae-bo?  I definitely had a well-loved copy in high school, probably on VHS! Then, later in life at the University of Minnesota, I took quite a few kickboxing classes at the free rec center. I knew the basic moves, but bag boxing is definitely more challenging. There were a few times when I would hit the bag "wrong", and it would really hurt my hand or wrist. Yet when I hit it hard and "right" directly on the bag, I could tell the difference.

Tips for Trying out Bag Boxing: I didn't bring a sweat towel, and was pretty drenched! I definitely recommend bringing one. I also brought a water bottle with a twist top, and I wasn't able to open it without taking off a glove. I recommend bringing a squeeze top water bottle so you can easy take water breaks when you need to without taking the time to take off your glove.

Don't be discouraged if you get a little lost! Sometimes I would lose track of the "sequence" we were doing (probably because I was getting a little tired). I just tried to keep moving, and then would try to see what the other more experienced boxers were doing around me, and catch up.

Most importantly, just have fun! Sure, this is a good workout that builds strength and burns lots of calories, but it also is a great way to take out some pent-up aggression, get a good fix of boxing endorphins, and have a little fun!

My arms are pretty shaky now, and I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow. I definitely got a solid workout in, and it was fun to try something new. I can see why my friend likes this workout so much.

Your first class is free, and you get to keep the hand wraps (not the gloves though). The website doesn't give a lot of information about pricing, but I believe the best deal is a monthly membership.

TITLE Boxing Club is a national chain, so if you have a certain type of membership, you will be able to take advantage of the studios across the country, which is a great idea if you travel a lot for work.  Currently, in Minnesota, there are locations in Edina, Woodbury, and Arden Hills. The club also offers kickboxing (with the bag), Power Hour workouts, and personal training. Its open to all levels- no previous experience necessary!

Head on over to TITLE Boxing Club, and give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment