Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Favorite Fit: Co-ed Sports Leagues





By: LL
I remember back when I was in junior high and high school and all my fits came through team sports. As a kid, I participated in volleyball, basketball, track, and softball. Once sports became more competitive in high school and seasons overlapped, I concentrated on volleyball and softball - with my true passion being volleyball, which is probably why, even though my vertical limitations kept me from playing any varsity sports in college, I continued to play on co-ed leagues. And I still continue that today.

Currently, my husband and I play on a semi-competitive league once a week. In previous years, we played recreational, but this year we finally had the players for a semi-competitive. And just as I remembered it, volleyball is still one of my favorite fits.

Not only is there the camaraderie of a team sport, but it gives me the opportunity to work muscles in ways that I wouldn't get from spin or running. For me, volleyball combines the cardio from spin and running with the strength training from yoga sculpt (especially with all the squatting and lunging that goes on in volleyball).

So, maybe volleyball isn't your sport. But trust me, there are so many co-ed leagues out there that you should easily find something that you enjoy. I have friends who play kickball, softball, racquetball, dodge ball, and soccer at YMCAs or other gyms or community centers. And all of them agree that playing in co-ed sports leagues is one of their favorite fits, just as my volleyball league is one of my favorite fits.

Need some lists of benefits to be interested in joining a league? I occasionally follow the Spark People website, which is a health, wellness, and nutrition website. The other day I came across this article, which discusses the benefits of co-ed sports leagues for adults. Just some of the benefits listed: (1) provides you with something different to do for fitness, (2) helps you be social and meet new people, and (3) you can rekindle your love for sports. So, I strongly encourage you to look into joining a co-ed team in your community. It might just be the right fit you are looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment