Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fresh New Fit: Running in the Spring

By: LL
I love this time of year - when the weather is getting warmer (however slowly that may be) and the daylight hours are getting longer (less need to run with a headlamp). This is one of my favorite times to be a runner. As we all know a good run (or a good workout) can greatly improve your mood, but that good mood is intensified when you have the warm sun on your shoulders at 4:30 in the afternoon. And the temperature is just so that you can run outside without worrying about icicle thongs and numb limbs or heat exhaustion and excessive sweating.

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to get out of work early and was greeted by sunny skies and temperatures in the upper 50s. I couldn't get home fast enough to get out for a run. However, one tricky thing I always struggle with on spring runs is what exactly to wear. In the sun, I would be fine in a short-sleeved top  and shorts. However, in the shade, and with a little breeze, I would need a long-sleeved top and, preferably, capri tights. Since I was going on my 5 mile loop, which is mostly in the shade, I went with capri tights and a light weight long sleeve. As is normally my problem, midway through the run, hitting the steepest gradient and most sun-exposed area, I was cursing myself for the long sleeve.

Either way, I found myself enjoying the run. And since it is still considered "cold" to all the Southerns, the route was relatively empty. So I was able to get into my groove without much distraction. Even reaching that point when you forget you are running - that is until the sun shines on you just right and from the corner of your eye, you catch sight of your moving shadow, and realize just how mechanic and natural running can be. (You know the feeling...)

Here's a quick look at my Instagram documentation of my gear:

For My Run:
- Lululemon Key Cuff (nifty little gift from Cool J and our other sister, EC)
- Adidas Orange Top
- New Balance Capri Tights
- Smart Wool Socks
- Timex Ironman Watch (and pepper spray...not always necessary, but I take it on this route)

No pictured:
- Saucony Pro-Grid Hurricane 13 (in dark pink)

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you're wearing the Lulu key cuff! And very smart to be carrying mace. Not sure if you have read at all about that woman in Montana who was abducted on her neighborhood run a month ago.
    http://www.wibw.com/nationalnews/headlines/137298743.html
    Scary....
    On a brighter note, I wish it were spring running here! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete