Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fitting Debates: Running with Music- I'm a convert!

By Jessie

Months ago, LL posted about the Fitting Debate regarding running with music.
She stated that there two types of runners:
(1) the purists who believe running is a time of peace and solitude - a time to get away from all the noise of life and collect one's thoughts in silence, and
(2) the iPoders, who couldn't imagine running without the distraction and assistance of good tunes.

At the time, I was training with my run club, and there was always someone in my pace group to chat with throughout the miles. It was summer, and plenty of "slow" runners were regulars at the club, and "I didn't need any music!"  I was a purist, who rarely, if ever, listened to music.

Things change in the winter. Though I haven't changed my stance for race day, I am becoming a convert for training runs.  Not as many of my friends are regularly attending the club, nor are they training for a spring marathon. The club still has plenty of runners, but they are just too fast for me! I no longer have the luxury of a constant running companion, and so I have to made a new friend...in an Ipod Nano.

So, I have changed my mind about this Fitting Debate. When running alone, music is necessary! Perhaps I wouldn't feel the same way if it wasn't dark and gloomy here in the Midwest during the winter. If I had sunshine and pretty scenery, perhaps the distraction of some fun tunes wouldn't feel so important. However, this time of year, we all need a little extra motivation, and I found mine with music.

In fact, I have been running with my music so much lately, that my circa-2006 green nano called it quits on me. Luckily, the prices on these devices have decreased drastically over the past 5 years, and I could pick up a new one for only $140. 
And WOW, have they improved since my last one! I went with the 8 GB model rather than the 12 GB one, since I'll be using it primarily for running.

It has a touch screen similar to my iphone. It has a radio function (perfect for the TV's at the gym for those "dreadmill" miles!)

And best of all?

It's PINK :-)

I did my first long run with my new pink device today, and I had a few tidbits of feedback for any new users. I couldn't figure out how to switch songs without taking off my gloves. However, had I read the manual first, I would have learned that a double click on the "on/off" button the top right hand side would have worked. 

I also learned that there are headphones available that will also allow a quick song switch. There is also a device you can buy to wear your nano on your wrist, which seems like a good idea.


Overall, the battery life was strong, and the compact size was quite nice. I would say this was a "RIGHT FIT" for running!





And a few surprisingly motivating tunes that I have found?
Classical music (Bach, Mozart)- Surprisingly, this type of music lets your mind wander, but still seemed to put some spring in my step

Old-school Dave Matthew's Band- a few older tunes popped up the shuffle setting, and I didn't make the move to switch to the next.

Some new hits? I have to admit, the current pop charts include a lot of songs with a good beat, and they are the best for running for me. Today's mix included We are Young by Fun., Stronger by Kelly Clarkson, Good Feeling by Flo Rida, Somebody that I Used to Know by Gotye, Rack City by Tyga. I should be embarrased, but I can't help it. These songs keep me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment