Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Functional Fit: Running at the Metrodome

By Cool J in Minneapolis


Tired of the treadmill? Too cold to run outside? I have just the thing for you....
Dome Running!
Dome running? What's dome running?

I honestly did not know what dome running was myself until I joined the Calhoun Beach Running Club. In fact, I made it through my first year training with the club still not experiencing this elusive "dome running."   When I heard people mention that they ran at the dome, I pictured them running hot laps around the football field on the grass, pretending to score touchdowns or first downs.
{where I thought we'd be running}

I was quite surprised to learn that these runners are actually doing laps around the concourse at the dome, i.e. the area where spectactors wander around purchasing foot-long hotdogs and beers…not quite as fun as I had imagined.
{Dusters running in shorts and a tee in January!}

About 2 ½ laps equals one mile…and the laps all look the same. It’s hard to tell where you are or where you started, and sometimes I started to get a little dizzy!
But the bright side is that the dome is a balmy 75 degrees. There are no lines for the treadmill like at the gym. And it only costs $1.
It’s a convenient option for speed training and workouts during the winter. Our run club was headed there last night as there is a group training for the Boston marathon, which means training through these grueling winters. Maybe someday that will be ME training for Boston...hopefully before I'm 50!

The temperature today was -14 when I woke up; much too cold to run outside, so Dusters and I decided to join the group at the Dome instead.
{The D-man outside the dome}

Here are some useful links for all the Dome information:
Every Tuesday and Thursday through March 21   
MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association) sponsored Dome running begins on Tuesday, November 20, 2012.
Dome running is open every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., cost is $1. Every Tuesday/Thursday through March 21. 
The MDRA turns the Metrodome into the place to be twice a week during the dark,cold and icy winter nights!  Running is from 5:00-8:00 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday and it costs $1.  2 1/2 laps around the concourse equals a mile. 
Enter gate D. You can park free in the upper Dome lot. 
If you have questions contact Rick Recker at 612 375-0805
http://runmdra.org/files/Dome_Handout_11-12.pdf
The above is a very useful link, providing the distances based on whether you run on the inner, middle, or outer "lane." The inner lane is reserved for runners going sub-7 min/miles, and they run in the opposite direction. My garmin didn't work inside the dome, so this link was helpful to determine what each lap time should be for me.

When writing this post, I did have to think about whether running at the Metrodome was a forgettable fit, a fresh, new fit, or a failed fit. But I asked my fellow dome runners, and they said it was a Functional Fit. It allows us to safely do workouts during the winter as a club, while avoiding the "dreadmill." It's true that running at the dome is not the same as running outside. Yet it was a nice change from the monotony of the treadmill. I traded the monotony of the treadmill for the monotony of the Metrodome. But indeed it was a functional fit!
{Calhoun Beach Running Club members feeling the burn at the dome}

Coach Paul (remember him? the guy who won the Mankato marathon?) had us do 5 laps as a warmup, and then 1 lap fast, 1 lap slow, 2 laps fast, 1 lap slow, 3 laps fast, 1 lap slow, 2 laps fast, 1 lap slow, 1 lap fast, and then a cooldown. I usually ran in the outer lane (no sub-7 minute miles here) so per the chart, it was about 8 miles total- a lot more than I would have done on the treadmill!
 {too fast for the camera to catch me...not quite}

Now if you live in Minneapolis, and this whole Metrodome running thing sounds like fun (are you CRAZY?), you better try it out this year. I'm not sure if the dome will exist next winter.

Workout complete. 
Mr. Mason (above) did almost 11 miles of dome running- impressive!

Post in the comments if you have any questions about dome running. 
It's definitely a quirky Minneapolis thing, but it works. 
I recommend this functional fit!






1 comment:

  1. I knew you could roller blade at the dome, but I never knew you could run there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete