Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fits Do (Future) Race Reviews: Get Lucky!

By Cool J in Minneapolis

My spring race calendar has changed just a tiny bit since this post, where I listed the Securian Run, Goldy's 10 mile, Borgess Run for the Health of It Half Marathon in Kalamazoo, the TC 1 Mile, and of course the Newport Marathon.  There's just one change so far. Instead of Goldy's 10 mile, our coach put the Get Lucky 21k on the calendar (i.e. 21k= 13.1 miles).

 {said calendar- where Coach Paul put the Get Lucky Half.}

The Get Lucky is organized by Team Ortho, and is held on March 16, as close to St. Patrick's Day as possible. There is a 21k (half-marathon) and a 7k, both on the same day but in different locations.  The 21k starts at 8 a.m. at the Ford plant along the Mississippi River.

I ran the 7k in 2010, during my first training season with the Calhoun Beach Running Club. We were training for the Seattle marathon at the time. 

 {7k race in 2010}

This year, I registered for the half marathon, and good lordy, it's pricey! The half marathon is $67, and that's without any "additions." At check out, you can add winter hats, fashion headbands, baseball caps, racerback tanks, socks, drawstring bags, and probably more! 

I went with the basic registration. I totally understand the appeal of all the SWAG, but I was able to resist the temptation of all those goodies. I'll save my money for the goodies at the Newport Marathon in June!
However, even with the basic registration, you still receive an embroidered hoodie (which you receive before the race; hence why I already have mine), complete with finger loops to keep your hands warm.



It's a cute sweatshirt, but I think that's what you're really paying for with your registration.

The 21k course is in St. Paul:

It looks like there are two water stops that you pass by twice. There is music on the course, and fancy medals for the finishers (unlike the Securian Half that I just did, with no medals...though I'm used to running half marathons with no medals- totally fine with me)

What I like about Team Ortho is that they make running appealing and accessible to the mass market.  All the fancy SWAG, the medals, and the goodies are cool, and who doesn't want to run with friends and then enjoy a few cold ones at a post-race party? They are able to motivate more non-runners to get out there and run, which is great, in my opinion.

Details of said post-race party: One free glass of Finnegan's at Kieran's Irish Pub in Minneapolis, the Local in Minneapolis, Cooper Pub in St. Louis Park or the Liffey in St. Paul. Don't forget your ID!

Team Ortho organizes quite a few races in the Twin Cities area, and though they have had their challenges on some of these races, I have usually had positive experiences so far, and I'm excited to experience the "Get Lucky 21k." Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment