Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fits Do Race Reviews: Get Lucky 1/2 Marathon

By Cool J in Minneapolis

This morning, I ran the Team Ortho Get Lucky 1/2 marathon. I did a preview of this race HERE
Remember the nice sweatshirt I wrote about? 
Nice sweatshirts!
There was also a 7k race at 9 am today, which is quite popular (11,000+ runners) but we had 15-17 miles on the marathon training schedule, so most of the spring marathoners in the Calhoun Beach Running Club ran the "21k" or half-marathon instead. It started at 8 am in St. Paul at the Ford plant.

Dusters, Abby, Kelly, and I arrived around 7 am, and paid $10 to park in the Ford parking lot. (For the price we paid for the race, you'd think parking at a Ford plant would be free!). It was pretty chilly outside (about 20 degrees) and there was a thin layer of snow and ice on the ground- not ideal conditions for a race. We waited in the car until about 7:30, and then did about a 2 mile warmup. The line of cars to get into the parking lot at that point was several miles long. We thought for sure the race would be delayed to allow for everyone to arrive. There were a lot of port-potties available, but the line was super long there as well....

Alas, the race did start on time- well, at 8:05 am. I was anxious about how my IT band would feel, so I didn't have high expectations for this race. I was just going to be happy to run (hopefully) without pain. I didn't want a repeat of last Saturday. The IT band was definitely tight, and it is sore now post-race, but nothing like last Saturday. Thank goodness!

It was a chilly day for a race, and I'm not sure I dressed warm enough. Luckily, Abby lent me her warm Craft hat. Craft makes awesome gear- some of the best winter gear out there, in my opinion. Thanks Abby!
Lindsey, me, Abby
I didn't particularly care for the out-and-back course on Ford Parkway, and there were some really slippery spots. However, I do think that the race was very well-organized (except for the parking situation), and there was plenty of support on the course.

And my time? Well, my mile splits weren't very consistent. I think I need to start a little slower to finish stronger. What do you think? The two slowest miles were the two hilly miles, so that's my excuse ;-)

Mile 1: 8:11
Mile 2: 8:07
Mile 3: 8:18
Mile 4: 8:10
Mile 5: 8:37
Mile 6: 8:24
Mile 7:  8:13
Mile 8: 8:36
Mile 9: 8:13
Mile 10: 8:08
Mile 11: 8:22
Mile 12: 8:27
Mile 13: 8:24
Total time: 1:50 even.

Not a PR, but that's okay. I made it with minimal pain of the IT band. I am grateful to be running. We ended with another 2 miles for a cool-down, for total mileage for the day of about 17 miles. Not too shabby.

I would rate the overall race experience of the Get Lucky as a 6 out of 10. Dusters gave it a 5 out of 10. He said he just doesn't like winter races, and hates the out-and-back course, and also didn't enjoy the rolling hills. Abby and Kelly gave it a 7- they are much more generous, I guess. So that averages out to a 6.25 overall rating for the Get Lucky Half Marathon, based on four people's opinions! Hey, it's usually just MY opinion.

Some definite pros:

They had plenty of post-race goodies. Yes, that is a peppermint pattie, yum!

And in true Team Ortho style, they had a nice finisher's medal.

Thanks for taking the pictures Andrew! 
Happy to be done with our run!
In my race preview, I had mentioned the post-race party (free beer!) but we were so freezing after today's race that we decided to come right home for a hot shower. We'll have a beer tonight to make up for it. We're heading to dinner at Cafe Maude with some friends, and then to the Orpheum for Spamalot! But first, time for some more foam rolling.

I hope you are all enjoying your St. Patrick's Day. 

Did you do a St. Patrick's Day themed run today? Did you wear a costume? Or are you doing one tomorrow? Please share!

I wore the only green top that I had. And my shamrock BIC band again too, though it was covered by the cozy Craft hat.


No comments:

Post a Comment