Sunday, April 21, 2013

Functional Fit: Supporting Your Runner.

By Cool J in Minneapolis

This week more than ever, there's been such an outpouring of support and love in the running community, it's astounding.

Check out Pavement Runner for information on the #BostonStrong runs planned in multiple cities for tomorrow.

I haven't organized any major events, but I showed my support for my special runner in my own small way today. Dustin was in Washington, D.C. for a conference Friday and Saturday, and he didn't return until late last night. Therefore, he missed the long run with the Calhoun Beach Run Club.  He had to make up the long run this morning. With 18-20 miles on the training schedule, he wasn't too eager to do it on his own. Though I didn't join him for the running, I did spend my morning driving around the city to provide him support along his way.

He followed the same route as the run club did, with a few moderations to start from our house. I met him around mile 8, mile 11, and again at mile 15 with Powerade, water, GU's, and bananas.
At the last support stop, I brought Matilda, thinking the three of us could run 3-4 miles together. We started off around 8:30's, but Dustin quickly informed me that he needed to continue on with his 7:45's...Too fast for this girl on a recovery run! I went on my own way, and just did an easy 4 by myself, and Dustin and Matilda headed home to finish his run.

Dustin and me post-Get Lucky half
Dustin had a great run, on a windy, cold (April???) day. None of the public water fountains have been turned on yet for the season, so he wouldn't have had any water any other way. I'd like to think my support made it a little easier for him. He's not one to wear a fuel belt, so having Powerade and fuel along the way hopefully helped him feel good for all those miles.

So, I guess this is my public thanks to me post :-) Helping Dustin this morning was my way to show my support for the running community (via my husband) in my own small way.

How did you support your favorite runner recently? Or, did you participate in something grander? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment