Sunday, June 30, 2013

Fresh New Fit: Wardrobe Consultation with A La Mode Consulting!

By Jess in Minneapolis

Yesterday was my wardrobe consultation with A La Mode Wardrobe Consulting.
source

I won a gift card for this service at the HotList event a few weeks ago (read about it HERE) I was a little apprehensive as to what the session would entail, but Carly (the stylist) put me at ease right away. We started with a series of questions about my personal style. It seemed to help her understand what I wanted to gain out of the consultation, and it was actually pretty fun to chat about it what I like and don't like...Who doesn't like talking about themselves and clothes just a bit? :-)

After the questions, we headed up to my closet to start the session! We began with shoes, then "bottoms" (pants and skirts), then dresses, and then all my tops. It actually took quite a long time (over three hours!) to go through it all. I was shocked by how much we rejected. I have four big garbage bags full of clothes that I'm getting rid of...and that is AFTER I just hosted a fashion swap in April!

But seeing my clothes through someone else's eyes made me realize just how much I was holding onto that was either 1) not in style or, 2) didn't actually fit me. Lots of times I was holding onto items that I used to love, but honestly didn't love anymore, so it was time to part ways. All I needed was a little push!

I'll share more of Carly's specific advice in a future post, but let's take this one step at a time.

Let's start with the shoes. Unlike LL, who has more of shoe obsession than me, I knew going into my consult that I was lacking a bit in the shoe department. Carly pointed out that you can have the greatest outfit, but the whole look can be ruined by the wrong shoes. So right away, I took her advice on how to complete my "shoe" wardrobe. As much as I love Tom's (it WAS one of my Friday favorite fits), they really aren't appropriate for business casual, except perhaps on a Friday.  My shoe collection was lacking, and I was ready to invest in some improvements.

My closet was full of funky statement skirts and plenty of bold necklaces. We both agreed that I had more than enough bright....What I was clearly lacking, however, were the neutral basics that bring it all together, and the first place I needed some work was in the shoe department.

Carly suggested a neutral wedge that could be worn to work. Specially, she guided me towards the Ralph Lauren Cecilia wedge. Its available in several bold colors, but I resisted the temptation to go for marigold or fushia. Instead, I followed Carly's advice and purchased the neutral silver pair.


Find them HERE for just $54.99!

Carly also quickly noticed that I was lacking a flat leather sandal that could also work for work, so she suggested the Lucky "Covela". 
Find them HERE for just $54.99!


She also suggested the Cece leather ballet flat from JCrew in a neutral shade. This was the most expensive shoe, but she sold me when she said that all her clients swear by it. They say its worth the investment and its really comfortable. Sold!

Find them HERE for $138


Finally, she  advised me to purchase an ankle boot this fall and another neutral wedge for work. I plan to keep looking for sales on these items, but I needed to pace myself a little for the budget, you know what I mean?

Our focus this session was primarily on summer footwear for work,with an emphasis on classy multi-purpose neutral shoes. I have a lot of bright shoes, plenty of casual shoes, and way too many dated, worn out shoes- (not anymore- I got rid of all those!) Seriously, I was due for an update, and I think the shoes Carly picked out will get a lot of wear!

(Um...you would not believe how many pairs of old running shoes were lurking in my closet corners! I will donate all but one old pair for dog parking, etc)

I'll share more of her tips for completing my wardrobe soon...hopefully you will find them helpful for your own styling needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment