Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Weekly Recap: Fitness, Fashion, and Fitness Fashion August 19-25


Jess in Minneapolis
Happy Tuesday friends! I’m a little behind, but let’s talk about what happened last week in Fitness, Fashion, and Fitness Fashion!
 
What's going on in fitness?:
Lots of running last week, as we are reaching the peak of our training for the Berlin marathon!
 
Monday: 7 miles with the Calhoun Beach Running Club: Variety Speed workout, or the old 6-5-4-3-2-1 workoutFor this workout, we’re supposed to try to run the “race pace” for that number of miles, then rest half that time, and so forth, i.e. 6 minutes at 6 mile race pace, 3 minutes off. 5 minutes at 5 mile race pace, 2.5 minutes off.  4 minutes at 4 mile race, 2 minutes off…you get the idea, all the way down to 1 minute. We did about 1.5 warmup and 1.5 mile cool-down.

Tuesday: 6.5 miles in the AM with Kelly and Abby, Balanced Barre in the PM
 
Wednesday: 5 miles of trails at Theodore Wirth (read about that HERE)
 
Thursday: 8.75 miles of a “track” style workout. There is a place on the Cedar trail where there are two bridges that are about 0.5 mile apart. We use those bridges are milestones/markers in place of a true track. We did about 1.75 mile warm-up to get there, then 800 meters, 1200 meters, 1600 meters, 1600 meters, 1200 meters, 800 meters, and then 1.75 miles cooldown. We would jog for about 0.25 mile in between each interval. This was a really tough workout, and I was tired afterwards!
 
Friday: Complete rest- much needed! We did take a nice long walk at the dog park. We were dog-sitting the beagle in the below picture.

Saturday: 20 mile long run. HOT, HOT, HOT. We had a fun route down the greenway, to West River Parkway, and back to the lakes via downtown and through Loring Park. There were two supports stops, one at mile 7 and one at mile 12. Both were greatly appreciated on a hot, sunny day! We also spent an hour at the dog park, just keeping this little visitor happy!
Sunday: A nice hour walk with Matilda- basically another rest day.
 
Total: About 48 miles of running, 2 rest days, 1 barre class, lots of walks
 
What's going on it fashion?
An item that I am very excited about this week is one that fits the bill! It’s THIS SKIRT from Target!
 
I have to admit, I copied this look from a friend. She was wearing this skirt the other day, and she shared that she found it at none other than Target. I had to zip out to Target myself to see if I too could have this adorable pencil skirt for just $22. (Imitation is the biggest form of flattery right?)  You can't beat a price like $22. Fortunately, they did have one left in my size at my Target, so I snatched this one as well as a basic black pencil skirt as well. Definitely two new work items that fit the bill! I love the fun fall pattern.   Quick, run to your nearest Target and pick one up for yourself!
 
What is going on in fitness fashion?
I’m still on the Bitty Bracer bandwagon. I have two of these now. I wore one for my hot 20 miler, and though it wasn’t 100% perfect, as I did get a tiny bit of chafing, I still think it’s the best one out there for me. It still is my favorite, and I have to plan my laundry accordingly so that one of the two is always clean for any running workouts or long runs.
 

Well, that’s it for Fitness, Fashion, and Fitness Fashion last week! Hope you had a fun weekend- stay tuned for a Featured Fit for what to wear on a pedal pub!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment