Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fits on the Road: Turks and Caicos...Final Call!

Final post about our short trip to Turks & Caicos! Then its back to regular Fitness, Fashion, and Fitness Fashion, I promise!

Saturday morning, the weather was not as windy as the previous day. Even so, we had hoped to do a SUP (stand up paddle boarding) tour of the mangroves, but unfortunately the tour company cancelled. They felt it was still too windy to be safe.

So we started the morning off with another warm weather run. (I tried to savor running in shorts and a tank, as I just knew we'd get more snow in Minneapolis, and whaddya know, we did last night!)

After the run, we enjoyed a leisurely (free!) breakfast and more beach time, and eventually we decided to try parasailing!

Neither one of us had done it before, so it was something new and fun. I am the first to admit that I have a bit of a fear of heights. I didn't let go of my death grip the whole time!

The trip was probably only 30 minutes, but we definitely got up pretty high!

We were rewarded with a very beautiful view of the whole island...

Here is a picture of our feet to show you how high we were!

We also took the Windsong Resort's beach cruisers for a few rides to go get lunch, etc. It had been a long time since I rode a bike with a kickstand and old-school brakes where you pedal backwards to stop!

That afternoon, Dustin took out the Hobie Cat sailboat again, with me as his first mate:

...and we did a little paddle boarding of our own, to make up for the cancelled tour.


We had our final meal in Turks & Caicos at a lovely restaurant called Caicos Cafe. It was just a random find on Trip Advisor, but it was really great. After dinner, we had to stop by Giggles, to try out a "Giggler." It was sort of like a blizzard. I had the banana split Giggler, and it was good, but WAY too much ice cream for me. I'm not really a big ice cream person, but if you are, this is the place to go, because you get a HUGE serving!

Sunday morning, I had time for another quick run, a little beach time, and then it was time to say goodbye to Turks & Caicos. It was a short trip, but hopefully we'll be back someday.

Here are some of the things I really liked about TCI:

Running! It felt relatively safe to run. Dustin and I did our long run, and then ran two other mornings during the trip. Actually, one morning, I ran on my own, and I still felt perfectly safe. There were dozens of other runners out, and I never was out of eyesight of another runner. We never had to run on busy roads- always sidewalks, which was great. My last beach vacation was Cancun, where I didn't feel as comfortable running. Of course, Hawaii is a great running destination, but Turks & Caicos was one of the best of the other non-US islands for running.

Food: We had a lot of really awesome food! Lots of fresh seafood, of course, including conch.

The Beach: The beach was really pristine, and the water was super clear for snorkeling. Other than the windy days (which we were told were a rare occurrence), the water was really calm, perfect for lots of water activities. Unfortunately, we did experience some windy days, but you can't control the weather!

Our Resort: Of course, a big part of the appeal of TCI was the amazing room we had at the Windsong Resort. The resort itself was really nice- no complaints! There were not a lot of kids there, and it just seemed like a great place to truly relax. Guests can take advantage of the beach cruiser bikes, sailboats, paddleboards, snorkel equipment, kayaks, and many other water activities. I highly recommend the Windsong!

As for fashion for the islands- remember the pink/gray/white sweater I wore to this cabin bachelorette weekend? I bought it online at Catch Bliss Boutique. I had a great experience with sizing, prices, quality, etc, so I decided to order a few of their summer dresses for the trip:


The short one on the right was final sale for about $25! I loved this dress with the 3/4 length sleeves, and the double layer of soft but light fabric. It's no longer available, but you can find the maxi dress on the left HERE, just $44! Of course, I had to bring my new favorite Oia Jules Agate necklace (on the right). If you haven't checked out her necklaces, you should!

That's it from our Turks & Caicos adventure...Our next trip won't be until the Flying Pig Marathon in 6 weeks!  Any tips for Cincinnati, Ohio? 


No comments:

Post a Comment