Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fitting Remarks: My Minneapolis Fall Bucket List 2014

I had such a fun time with my Minneapolis Summer Bucket list that I decided to put together one for fall. Fall is much shorter of course, so my list is shorter as well.

Here goes!

1. Go camping at one of the many local campgrounds.
This should have been on our summer bucket list, but it wasn’t. To make up for that, it's now on the fall bucket list and I’m hoping we can accomplish it. We have a weekend set aside before it gets too cold to do so.  

Many moons ago, we had a great time together just the two of us in the Boundary Waters for a week (Dustin claims that was when he decided he was going to propose<-- aww!) 

So we have all the gear from that trip; it’s time to put it to use! We also haven't ever gone camping with Matilda (the dog). At some point, we'd like to take her to the Boundary Waters with us. We know that she behaves really well in a canoe, but we just need to make sure she doesn't mind the tent! 

2. Spend the day at a pizza farm.
I had such a fun time doing this in July that I just have to do it again in the fall.

3. Pick some honey crisp apples! 
This is the last season to go to Fall Harvest Orchard. Unfortunately, it will be closing due to the death of one of the owners (so sad...) The family is keeping the orchard open one final year. There are plenty of other apple orchards in the Twin Cities area, but this was definitely one of my favorites. I'm very sad to see it go! 

I did just read that they are already almost out of apples though, so we might have to head to a different orchard this year. According to Sidewalk Dog, there are several orchards that allow dogs. We are thinking about checking into Sponsel's or Deardorff's. Any recommendations? 

4. Make apple crisp or apple pie.
Leading off of #3, I need to put those apples to use. As a kid, I never wanted cake for my birthday; I always wanted peach or apple pie. I still love pie more than cake!

5. Carve a pumpkin.
Last year, we had the pumpkins and the carving kit, yet we never carved our pumpkins...

6. Make a stop at Oktoberfest at Gasthofs
I went to Gasthof’s a whole lot more when I was in college (man, there were some crazy nights in the basement of Gasthof’s back in the day…) They hold one of the best Oktoberfest festivals in the Twin Cities. 

Details: September 19th to October 11th: A Bavarian bar and eatery in Northeast Minneapolis that pitches a massive tent and brings in the picnic tables for a celebration of Germany. They’ll have traditional German beer like Hacker Pschorr, Paulaner, Spaten and Warsteiner. Food options include brats, smoked pork chops, BBQ ribs, german potato salad, sauerkraut, soft pretzels and apfelstrudel. There will be live polka music and dancing, too. No cover charge. Bring your own beer mug or buy one of their 1/2 liter mugs. Tokens are $6. Location: 2300 University Ave NE Minneapolis, MN 55418

**There are plenty of other Oktoberfests too-Harriet Brewing's Raunchfest or 612Brew's Oktoberfest...probably others as well!

7. Get lost in a corn maze OR drink apple cider (or a beer?) around a bonfire...
Fall is short, so I combined this one into an "either-or," as I'm not really sure I'll be able to accomplish either. I don't think you can burn leaves within Minneapolis proper, so I need to make a friend in the country quick. Or find a corn maze. Sever's Corn Maze seems like the best option...

8. Spend a crisp fall day in Stillwater.
As close as Stillwater is to the city, we don't make it there very much. I'm sure the foliage would be beautiful on the drive and then we could spend the day shopping or eating our way through this charming town.

9. Rake leaves.
This one will be easy...and Dustin will be happy if I help!

10. Attend a local soccer game.
This is on the list because my friend Gina is coaching her daughter's team. I am sure it is just adorable so I figured I should go catch one of the games and cheer for her!

11. Cheer for Twin Cities Marathon!
This one will be easy. I love cheering at TCM. I'm already brainstorming some new signs for this year!

12. Get SCARED at the Soap Factory's Haunted Basement
We have tickets to go to this with a few friends and this year it sounds even scarier than ever! The theme is "UNHINGED." Everyone must wear a mask...why? so we can't tell who our friends are?
source
13. Use my new immersion blender to make an autumn soup/bisque. 
Remember when I won an immersion blender at the silent auction at the Taste of the Nation HotList? Well, its still in the box. I haven't used it yet, but fall soups should be the perfect time to break it in.

14. Come up with a creative dog costume for Matilda
 Maybe a martini glass? 
source
Kissing booth? She does like to give kisses...
15. Eat lutefisk/attend a small town church supper.
This was on my summer list and I didn't make it happen, but people are telling me it's much easier to find a good church supper in the fall/winter. Any recommendations?

16. Run a night trail race.
Like this oneI think that there is a bonfire at this race so I could perhaps fulfill #7 at the same time!

17. Go to the MCAD Art Sale.
This art sale is only held once a year, the weekend before Thanksgiving. We are always looking for new art for our house and I have never been to this event.

18. Grow a mustache for Movember.
Just kidding. Hopefully. That would not be a good look for me.
I do look forward to the return of Dustin's beard:


...and I hope to participate in the Moustache Run this year! Register HERE.

19. Anniversary/Birthday Celebration!
October is a special month as it includes both my birthday and our wedding anniversary. My fall bucket list would not be complete with a mention of celebrating these two occasions in style!

20. Set a marathon PR at the OBX Marathon in early November!
Pretty please marathon gods....I have been training so hard! 

I know that this isn't something that I'm doing in Minneapolis, but all the training has been in Minneapolis, so I'm keeping it on my fall bucket list!

I'd love to end the fall on a strong note with a smart and strong race in North Carolina. After my disappointing performance at Flying Pig, I'm going to be conservative and not set my expectations too high. But I can't help but hope....


Tell me...what did I miss? What is on YOUR fall bucket list? Please share in the comments!

For more great ideas, check out the CityPages 50 Reasons Why We Love Fall in Minnesota

4 comments:

  1. I live up north, so I'm hoping to hike around Jay Cooke state park, I'd also like to get to a pizza farm, but I find most of them are open on Sundays, and I need a Saturday to do the travel time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard great things about Jay Cooke park! Lucky you to have it so close.

      Yes, the pizza farm season is coming to an end and the schedules can be pretty limiting, but they are definitely worth a stop!

      Delete
  2. I recommend http://www.fischerscroixfarmorchard.com in Hastings. It is dog friendly and has a corn maze.

    ReplyDelete