Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fitting Remarks: Motivational Signs

By Jessie

Part of the magic of the marathon is the support of the fans. Dustin and I travel for a lot for marathons, so we don't always have familiar faces in the crowd. But even strangers can give you that extra boost along the course. And I especially enjoy the fun signs!

While running, I am always on the look out for funny signs. Humor can take me much farther than Gu or Gatorade! I think these fans have the right idea:
  



Here are some more that I have seen throughout my marathon miles....
Little girl with a sign that read, “Worst. Parade. Ever.”
“If the marathon were easy, it would be called ‘your mom’
“Runners have balls- others just play with them”
Don’t Die”
“Amy, call a cab- it’s faster”
“Poop your pants if you need to”
“Beat Oprah”
“Phidippides almost died at this point in his race”
“You’re a better running mate than Palin”
“This marathon would be fun if it wasn’t for all the running”

Or how about these?
"You are NOT almost there"
"Don’t stop–we’re all watching you"

"Your feet hurt because you are kicking so much ass!"
"Run faster, my arms hurt from holding this sign"
"Run like you stole something"
"My mommy is faster than your mommy"
"Hurry Up, We’re Cold"
"You’ve Done Worse Things for Much Longer"
"I heard a rumor there are cupcakes at the finish"
"Stop reading this and keep running!"
"Fast Girls Have Good Times"


"Chuck Norris never ran a marathon"
"Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"
"Last is just the slowest winner"
"Humpty Dumpty had wall issues too"
"Keep going because one day you’re not going to be able to do this anymore"
"There is beer at the finish"
"26.2 because 26.3 would be crazy"
"That’s not sweat, it’s your fat cells crying"
"You're not slow, you just know how to enjoy a race course."

"Run like you want to."
"Come on, it doesn't hurt that bad."
"When you are done, it won't hurt at all."
"Think of all the alone time you are getting."
"Kids at the finish - enjoy your peace and quiet."

 

....and these are actually inspirational:
"You made it to the START, you will make it to the FINISH"
"Dear Stranger: You are my hero"
"You are no longer a runner, YOU are a marathoner"


And my favorite...

"Millions of people never even started today. 
 You are one in the million who did."

3 comments:

  1. These are GREAT! It reminds me of TCM, where there is wall set up on your way into St.Paul and people were running up and "hitting the wall."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We can't all be heros because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." ~ Will Rogers

    But really, what would we do with crowd cheering us on and putting together such ridculous signs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this might be one of my favorites:
    "You're not slow, you just know how to enjoy a race course."

    ReplyDelete