Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fit Fanatic: Mantras for Motivation!

By Jessie

Last night at run club, we did a hill workout. It was dark and chilly...and definitely not easy!
The warm-up route was about 2.25 miles, and then each hill was about 0.8 miles round trip. Dustin and I both did 5 repeats, and then the 2.25 cool down home, for a total run of around 8.5 miles. There was a good turnout of runners for a “random” hill workout, so it was nice to have the support of the others on my way up the hill. But I was still technically “on my own” for the hill, and I needed to utilize some self-talk to keep myself going in the dark and cold.

I started chanting to myself on the uphills, “You are strong! You are strong!”

It seemed to help me push a little harder. I swung my arms a little faster, and I felt strong!

That got me thinking about the different mantras that I often use to keep myself going during a marathon.

This season, it was often a countdown- “You can do it, only 12 more miles. You are strong. You are strong.” "You can do it, only 11 more miles. You are strong. You are strong."

I’d say that over and over until finally that number became 10, then 9, and so forth.

Around 7 miles, I always say, “Only a Calhoun and a Harriet, Cool J, you got this. You got this."(Calhoun and Harriet are two lakes along my frequent running route that together are about 7 miles.)

Then, eventually, mile 23, it would change to,  “Only an easy Calhoun Cool J…only an easy Calhoun.”

I also often chant “Just keep running, just keep running” to the tune of “Just keep swimming” on Finding Nemo....it works, I swear!


LL reminded me of our mantra when we ran TCM together in 2005. It was the first few lyrics to Cake’s song, “Never Gonna Give You Up”

“You look so good to me right now. You look really good to me..."

We’d say each to each other, randomly, and it made us laugh, and kept us going throughout the 26.2.

The well known Clif bar pacer, Starshine Blackford (with whom I ran at the Big Sur marathon in 2009), gave us this memorable marathon mantra to keep in our heads:

“Run the first 10 with your head
Run the second 10 with your legs
Run the last 6.2 with your heart.”

 


I believe mantras and self-talk are extremely important, especially for female runners. I think that girls are often taught to be modest and not to brag. Maybe that is just a generalization, but from my experience, I just don’t think women are as encouraged to “puff out our chests”, and roar about how “kick-ass” we were at that track meet, the same way that boys are.
And unfortunately, these “lessons” from our childhood might carry forward into our adulthood, leading us to talk negatively to ourselves, rather than positively. 

Sometime I’ll catch myself saying, “Cool J. You are not cool. You are so slow. This sucks. Why are you doing this?” 

I have to step back and realize that I am making it “suck” by mentally pulling myself down, rather than building myself up!

We need to leave negative thoughts behind in running. We must tell ourselves just how AWESOME we really are.

 “You are strong. You are strong!”

Runner’s World recently published an article touting the power of mantras:
"To achieve your running goals, powerful legs and big lungs aren't enough—you also need a strong head. Doubts and distractions can derail your attempts, but a well-chosen mantra can keep you calm and on target. Repeating choice words whenever you need to focus helps direct your mind away from negative thoughts and toward a positive experience.
Indeed, the Sanskrit word "mantra" literally means "instrument for thinking." As such, these short words or phrases have long been used to focus the mind in meditation.
So what makes a good mantra? One that's short, positive, instructive, and full of action words. Runner’s World suggests preparing multiple mantras before a race tailored to various challenges. And don't limit yourself to "real" words. A made-up word works for Tara Anderson, a 34-year-old runner in Boulder who recites, "Lighter, softer, faster, relaxer." 
"I repeat it with each footstrike, and if I'm having a problem, I'll repeat the relevant part until I'm in the flow," she says. Her phrase helped her set a three-minute PR in a 10-K in 2009. Here's how you, too, can wring some running magic out of a few well-chosen words.
Choose one word from each section below to create a motivational, get-it-done power chant.


A
Run
Go
Stride
Sprint
Be


B
Strong
Fast
Quick
Light
Fierce


C
Think
Feel
Embrace
Be
Hold


D
Power
Speed
Brave
Bold
Courage
Now put those words together, and say them to yourself on that last hill repeat."

My new one? 

"Be Fierce, Think Power!"


What's yours? 




No comments:

Post a Comment