Monday, November 21, 2011

Fundamental Fit: Essential Layers


By: LL
This weekend, I laid out all the necessities for my upcoming holiday travel (one, to make sure that I have everything, and two, to make sure it would fit in my limited space). As my goods were spread across the guest bedroom, my husband made a comment about all the basics that I was bringing. He asked me whether it was really necessary to bring two white camis, two gray long sleeve t-shirts, and a smattering of colored v-necks. Couldn't I cut some of those for space? That got me thinking about layering and the need for basics - because they are a fundamental piece of an outfit. And, for the record, the two white camis are completely different and each would be worn with more than one outfit.

Crew and v-neck camis, t-shirts, and long-sleeves are staples in my wardrobe, especially when I am layering. But these layers definitely do not last long (yellowed armpits, wear in the sleeves, unstitched hems), so I refuse to spend more than $20 on a layering piece (unless it is Spanx). Now, I have gone to multiple places searching for basics that fall within my price range but last  one full season or maybe one and half. These are some of the best places for basics that I have found:

The Gap
The Gap Favorite Long-Sleeve Crew or V-Neck shirts are my go-to cold weather layering items. Normally, you can get them on a "two for $20 or $30" deal, but they are regular priced at $19.50. (Currently, they are on sale for $14.50/each, with an additional 35% with promotional code MERRY). The Gap also has lighter-weight tops and t-shirts in a variety of colors.

Old Navy
Old Navy has definitely picked up their quality on basics. It used to be that you would wash the shirt and the sems would twist and the top would shrink up in the oddest ways. But now, you can find some great deals on v-neck t-shirts and other long-sleeves. Some even give a little extra detail along the neckline to jazz up the basic.

Target
Especially as of late, Target has been a great option for basics, especially the Mossimo Long & Lean Tanks, which normally cost $8 for a variety of seasonal and neutral colors. I have found these tanks to last a bit longer than others, and you can choose from a racer-back or scope-back.

Threads for Thought
As seen in other posts, I have recently collected quite a few Threads for Thought "essentials." These are especially nice for the warm months since they are made of lighter weight cotton (and are sustainable apparel, but for a very, very reasonable price). If you are lucky, you might find Threads available at your local Whole Foods, and if you are very lucky, your local TJ Maxx.

Cool J mentioned in this post about a store called Heartbreaker provides basic t-shirts and tanks that fit the bill as well - if you are ever near uptown Minneapolis.

Essential layers are important in any wardrobe - male or female - and shouldn't cost as much as the cashmere sweater you are layering over it - because no matter what you pay for them, they just don't last the wear and tear that they get. So, it is important to make sure that you find your fundamental fits for a good price, season after season!

No comments:

Post a Comment