Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fresh New Fit: The Long-Term Borrow



By: LL
Looking for a creative, affordable way to mix up your wardrobe? Let me tell you about one of my favorite tricks (along the lines of thrift shopping, but better) that fits into any fashion budget. All you need are a few fashionable girlfriends/sisters willing to play along.

I am referring to the Long-Term Borrow (or the LTB). This concept stems from my childhood where, growing up with four older sisters, I had a total of five closets at my disposal (whether or not they knew it!). How my sisters and I have incorporated this into our adult lives, with all of us living scattered across the nation, is through the Long-Term Borrow. Whenever we get together, we bring a few items from our own wardrobes to exchange with one another in a longer-term borrow. These items primarily include statement tops and accessories, and from time to time, a dress, skirt, or jacket. These items are still in rotation in your own closet, but you are willing to part with them (for a specific time period) in order to borrow a few great pieces from someone else. And then, you return them to the original owner.

There are a few rules to this fashion remix system:
  1. You can't take unless you also give. Each person doesn't have to lend/borrow an even amount of items, but no one should walk away empty handed.
  2. You must take care of the items you are borrowing. If an item is damaged or lost during a borrow, the borrower MUST replace or repay the lender (case in point: a great satin black blazer that I lent out a few years back that was stolen at a bar. The borrower repaid me with an item of similar value).
  3. When the lender wants the item back, the item is returned - no questions. If no end date is set, then before seeing the other person again, verify whether the lender would like the item returned.
What I love about the LTB is that it is a free way to give your wardrobe a little kick. And I know that everyone has at least one or two items each season that are too memorable or too event-specific to wear multiple times. So, lending them to someone else for a few weeks will share the excitement of the piece, and help you control your urge to over-wear it. In addition, you will have something you borrowed to fill the void in the meantime. And, the LTB is a great way to give/receive inspiration and a new perspective on what you already have. The person that you lend something to might style the item in a new way. Or, they could love an item so much that it makes you remember why you loved the item so much in the first place.

The Long-Term Borrow, or a similar version of it, has become quite the movement among women recently - and I wasn't even aware! I stumbled across The Clothes Exchange, which is a site that gives tips to women on hosting a clothing exchange with their friends - touting it as a "green" way to shop. These events are held for charitable causes and just for fun among friends and special interest clubs.

Whereas there are multiple ways to breathe life into a tired wardrobe, the Long-Term Borrow is affordable, fun, and a great experience to share with friends/family. I know that I am looking forward to the exchange with my sisters this holiday as a way to spruce up my closet with a few new pieces. A few fashionable sisters, some great wine, and lots of great style...how could I not be excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment