Thursday, December 29, 2011

Creating Fits: Silver and Gold Chains

By: LL
I used to think about gold and silver chains as something out of the '80s and early '90s - not something incredibly modern or fashionable. But, over the last few seasons, chains - large and small - have been reinvented and are once again trendy. It took me awhile to embrace this trend in my designs, but over the last few weeks, I have been inspired to begin using them. It also doesn't hurt that I have come across some great chains and links to use. (My new place for raw materials - clearance areas in jewelry departments where you can find bargains on pieces to break down and use the materials, which is what I have done with a few of the chains in these pieces).

{Sparkler in silver & navy}

{Ornamental in textured greens}

{Links & Chains in silver}

{Links & Chains in silver bracelet}

{Links & Chains in gold bracelet}

I made the first necklace (Sparkler) to go with a dress that I am wearing to a wedding at the beginning of the year. The second necklace (Ornamental) you might recognize from here. And the last ones are made using deconstructed jewelry from clearance department store pieces (seriously, you would be amazed what great deals you can get on materials in these areas - think Charming Charlie, JC Penny, and Burlington Coat Factory. It is fun, too, to take an "ugly" piece and turn it into something fashionable!)

1 comment: