Friday, January 20, 2012

Forgettable Fit: Resolution Exercisers!


By: LL
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I just got back from spending 10 days back in the Midwest for late holiday celebrations and a friend's wedding. Whereas it was a wonderful time, wrapped up in a flurry of fun activities and good company, it also was filled with too much food and little exercise. Not a good combination! I definitely tried to fit in fitness while I was on the road, but it wasn't a very relaxing vacation and there was little time to squeeze in yoga sculpt or a run in the snow. My fitness activities were confined to 20 minutes of yoga 4x scattered over 10 days, and a few bouts of power walking. Not impressive, I know.

But this lack of physical activity made me very motivated to get back on track. I was even excited to dedicate a few early morning hours to my first workout post-vacation. Unfortunately, other gym members interfered with my plan and instead of a morning of circuit training, I was stuck with an overcrowded space and a 30-minute limit on the cardio machine. And this was at 4:30 am! Oh, the New Year's Resolution Exercisers...I can only imagine how busy the gym is later in the day. The joy of this time of year!

So needless to say, after only 50 minutes of waiting and having others give me the stink eye as they wait for me, I forfeited my exercise plan and headed home, grumbling over this forgettable fit.

Sound familiar? It can be difficult to stay motivated and enjoy a workout when the facility - whether that is a gym, studio, running path, or bike lane - is overcrowded - and especially filled with those individuals who are new to the system, and don't follow "protocol," if you will. In situations like this, it can be nearly impossible to bring your heart rate up - except out of anger. But something like this shouldn't stop you (or me) from getting what you want out of your daily workout. Instead, let this challenge of space serve as motivation for you and let it lead you to try new things. For instance, say the treadmills and elliptical machines are occupied. Why not try the stair-stepper or the bike? The change in routine will make your workout more interesting, work your muscles in different ways to help you avoid over-training, and will allow you to still get your workout in.

I have to remind myself to try to send out positive energy to help encourage these New Year's Resolution Exercisers to continue with their workouts. Don't be like me this past morning and let amazing motivation turn into a forgettable fit.

1 comment:

  1. LL, I feel your pain. D-man and I went to our gym, but a different branch (uptown) on Wednesday night, and there was quite a line for the treadmills, and a TWENTY minute limit. What can you get done in twenty minutes? Luckily, no one was actually enforcing that part, so I was able to do a solid pyramind workout (5 miles). This morning, I was on the treadmill again, and arrived around 5:45, and there was no line! Maybe you need to find a new gym :) JK. It will calm down in a month after everyone burns out on their resolutions, but not you!

    ReplyDelete