Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fitting Debate: Running in Hot vs. Cold Temperatures (Pt 3)

By Jessie

My husband and I are not currently training for a marathon- our next one is not until June so we won't need to seriously start training until mid-February. Right now, we are just keeping a solid base for mileage, which means we don't have to run. This could have been our excuse yesterday, when our outdoor thermometer read -3 degrees with a windchill. However, the D-man convinced me that we could tough it out- we have run in much worse!

So, we bundled up, and headed to run club...

Let me point out that I am thankful to be healthy and able to run. Even though I am about to complain, I actually had a very enjoyable run, despite the challenges of the cold.

However, yesterday's run did remind me of a few other not-so-awesome things about running in the extreme cold. LL and I debated awhile back about who has it worse- LL, living in the mid-south, where extreme heat dominates 6 months per year, or me, living in the upper midwest, where extreme cold dominates 6 month of the year. You can read about it here and here.

I feel that I missed a few items on my side of the debate...

1. Frozen face mask: A face mask is a "must" in these temps, but it will inevitably freeze from the sweat, spit, what have you, and then you have a hard frozen plank on your face. Nothing quite like running with a sheet of ice on your face/neck.
2. No water stops:  Yes, it is cold and you probably don't have to hydrate quite as frequently as you do during the summer. But if you do need hydration, you will probably have to carry your own. All the water fountains have been turned off by this time of year. We are left with a few community centers that open their doors for runners (Thank you!) but it can still be challenging to stay hydrated.
3. Too much gear: There is a lot more gear that is required to survive a frigid winter run (see below) so packing up your bag before heading to the run club is quite an ordeal. Or, if you plan to run right after work, you must plan ahead to ensure you don't forget something vital (like those gloves!) Also, if you plan to shower at your run club or gym, you must remember all the warm winter clothes to put on post-run. So much packing and unpacking every day can be exhausting!
4. Slower pace: I find it quite physically challenging to run on the uneven snow. Even though my city does a great job of clearing the running paths, there can still be unstable footing. My quads were quite sore after yesterday's long run because I felt they were working that much harder to maintain footing, and of course my pace suffered. It also takes a bit longer to warm up your muscles when you first start, which can lead to a slower overall pace. 
5. Fewer bathrooms: Cold weather means a good majority of the public restrooms are locked up for the winter. This leaves you with a few porta-potties along the way, but sometimes they are not frequent enough. We've all been there.

So now that I am done complaining, I would like to share how I survived yesterday's long run. Some of you have asked what to wear for a long(ish) run in temperatures that cold. I'm not an expert, but here is what I wore..

Snowboarding socks!  They aren't exactly made for running, but I like to have long socks on so my ankles aren't bare and cold. This pair is Smart Wool, and they are a functional fit for both running and snowboarding.

Two pairs of tights: I wanted to be sure my legs were warm, so I layered both my Athleta Determination Pants under an Adidas pair with a slight fleece lining. 
with fleece lining...
 
A warm fleece Nike running jacket- I think it's the Nike Element Thermal Running Hoodie . It's quite warm, but I will complain about one thing: it has shrunk up in length, and now I have to be extra careful to wear long base layers so that my belly isn't exposed and cold.
A Saucony running hat (with pony tail hole in back!) as well as a Nike face mask (next picture down)
 Nike face mask, blue BIC band, Athleta Bra-Na-Na sport bra, UnderArmour tank (to cover belly under shrinking Nike jacket)

One more layer on top of the tank...


And Craft gloves- these are super warm- so warm that I actually had to take them off for part of the run, my hands were so overheated.
And of course, the Yak Traks...

I felt adequately dressed for the weather. Even though running in the extreme cold can be challenging, I do believe that with the right gear, it can still be an enjoyable experience.

Please share if you have any other complaints about the cold- or the heat for that matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment