Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fundamental Fit: Accessorizing the black suit

By: LL
Not many things can be more boring than a black suit. Yes, it is a fundamental piece to have in your wardrobe, but it can seem so stale and forgettable. So, what are some good ways to make this fundamental piece fit better in your colorful wardrobe? This is a question that I work with quite a lot in my current work situation (which as I stated in this post, is supposed to be business casual, but has ended up more professional than that). Whereas I am able to add a little flair to my daily "uniform," I am sometimes stuck in situations where it is frowned upon to be too flashy.

When trying to style outfits in these circumstances, I use a tip that I learned when I was first starting out in the professional workforce, which is to ACT: Add Color and Texture.

Color: A subtle pop of color can go a long way while still looking classic and not looking cheap. Whether it be in your top, your accessories, or your shoes. Unlike my weekend looks, I try to keep my color palate simple and not mix too many distinct colors/shades (don't want any of the older ladies to faint!). If you are one who only invests in classic colors for work tops and shoes, then add in the accessories. Try a statement necklace or scarf...or what about a nice brooch to brighten up the top half! Bracelets are always a good way to add in a few other colors to compliment your main color piece.

Texture: Nothing gives a boring outfit more pizzazz than the dimension that comes with mixing textures. If your suit is plain or subtly patterned (think very faint pinstripes or plaids) add in some bold textures on top, whether that is from your blouse or scarf. And then compliment that texture will something different in your shoes, such as leopard or suede. Keep in mind that too much bold print with the texture might overwhelm the outfit and you'll wind up looking cheap (aka too much animal print).

And, you can always mix in a few trendier business separates, like a seasonal blazer or a pencil skirt with pleating at the back vent.

Here is on way to accessorize a black suit:


Here is a look at the way that I am accessorizing my suit today:


I recently picked up the turquoise J.Crew Bubble necklace and have already worn it to work twice (with a steeper price, I have to get my fair share of wears), and these tan ruffle & bow pumps are probably one of my most comfortable pair of heels! Perfect for a presentation to potential donors!

Details:
Suit: The Limited Travelers Suit
Lace Top: New York & Company
Necklace: J.Crew
Watch: Pulsar
Suede Pumps: Apt. 9 (Kohls - 3 years ago)

1 comment: