Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Failed Fit: Heat Advisory





By: LL
As I mentioned here, I am back on the wagon of training for a road race. It has been a few months, and I would like to say that it feels good to be back at it. Unfortunately, no ... not in this heat!

The horrific heat wave that has settled across most of the United States is really putting a damper on my comeback. In fact, this morning I got up early to do a pace-finding run of six miles. Yowza! Even at 6:30 a.m. it was a scorcher, which made finding my comfortable pace that much more difficult. I was dragging, probably averaging 10:30s when I am normally closer to 9:15s. The combination of the heat and not having run more than five miles in about two months made my legs heavy and my head restless. I even opted for no iPod, which was smart in the sense of running by myself that early in the morning, but a mistake in that I was dying for motivation.

Lesson learned: lack of solid runs + hot, hot heat (temperature, not the band) = soggy, dejected, angry LL. Training season is not shaping up very well.

Now let's see how long I last outside today. Happy 4th of July to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment