Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fresh New Fit: Stand-up Paddle Boarding Part 2

By Cool J
The D-man and I just returned from an extra long weekend at the cabin. 

My sister CJ joined us at the cabin with her husband and 3 daughters (Maggie: 9, Clara: 5, and Harriet: 10 months).

CJ is training for her first 1/2 marathon, so we did her long run together on the hills of cabin-town. Coated in bug spray and armed with our fuel belts, CJ conquered those hills, and ran her longest distance ever! I was very proud of her, and we had a good time catching up on the run (even though she told me beforehand that she would not be talking during the run but she ended up talking the whole time- loved that!)

Our other "Fits on the Road" at the cabin included swimming across the lake (which I think is about a mile), and of course, stand up paddle boarding!

(Read about paddle boarding post #1 here)

It was CJ and her husband's first time on paddle boards, and after a bit of instruction from moi, they got the hang of it quite quickly, and were up and moving across the lake. Perhaps it was my stellar teaching skills?



And our new challenge on the board was the addition of my nieces as riders. Even though they both did a great job as riders, sitting very still on the board, it was still a bit more work to stay balanced with the nieces on board. Any waves in the lake would make balancing extra challenging. It was an even better good core workout than usual with the addition of a 30-50 pound child on the front of the board.


Matilda enjoyed a ride on the boards, as usual. 

 She has become so comfortable that she even laid down while riding- WOW!

We paddled several times a day, and I could feel it in my core and upper body... or maybe it was the swim across the lake without any training, or the 30+ miles I ran while there? Either way, it was a fun filled weekend of Fresh New Fits/Fits on the Road Cabin Style!

No comments:

Post a Comment