Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday's Favorite Fit: The Trigger Point Foam Roller

By Jess in Minneapolis

I still struggle a bit with my IT band issues, though they have definitely improved. I think it's something I'll face forever (or at least as long as I'm training for marathons). However, I now have a "secret weapon" that I'd like to share as today's favorite fit. This item is not something you wear, but it's something that you roll on top of...It's the Trigger Point Foam Roller!

I bought mine at Marathon Sports for $40, and that seems to be the average price for one of these (you can find them online at REI here)

I already had two foam rollers. I had this one for everyday foam rolling:

And this one for traveling:

And don't forget about the stick! I have one of those too.

So why would I need a third? Well, I had heard from friends that the trigger point foam roller was even more effective than the normal ones, so I was willing to give it a try. I'm glad I did! I don't entirely understand the technology behind it, but it sounds like its all about the bumps on the roller.

Built from EVA foam, it has three zones that provide different intensities of massage. There are low and flat sections that feel like a massage with the forearm or palm; small square sections are firm and feel like fingertips; long tubular sections feel like fingers and thumb. It's designed to withstand repeated use without breaking down. So roll away! Work out those sore spots, friends!  I have found this foam roller to definitely be more effective. It hurts so good!

There is also a travel version of the trigger point roller available as well (find it HERE) because you know I love to run when traveling, and it's important to keep up with the foam rolling too, even when on trips. My niece Harriet knows just how important it is! She used the foam roller at the cabin.

And guess what? It also can also be incorporated into your everyday workouts to intensify push-ups, crunches, and other core exercises. I hadn't really thought about using my foam roller for exercising. I primarily use it for working out the ol' IT band, but maybe there's more to do with it after all.

In fact, Align Pilates in Uptown offers hour long foam roller classes!! I haven't tried one yet, but I have heard they are great.

From the Align website, 
This fun and innovative class will teach you all the wonderful things you can do for your body with the foam roller! Students will learn different massage techniques using the roller to help reduce tight muscles, body tension, and increase blood flow. Students will also learn and experience various Pilates exercises that can be done with the roller to create decompression, core strength, and stability throughout the body. All levels welcome! Class is 60 minutes (30 minutes of massage techniques and 30 minutes of core stability work) Please bring your own yoga mat to class.

Here's a video on how to use your Trigger Point foam roller from YouTube.


Pick up a trigger point foam roller now for all your aches and pains!  You'll be glad you did!


2 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    I have a quick question about your blog, could you email me please? Thanks!!

    Melanie : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to send us a message through the "contact us" on the blog, or just ask your question here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete