Friday, November 15, 2013

Belated Weekly Recap and My First Diwali Party!

Ah! I am way behind in my weekly recap from last week, so sorry…. I'll recap last week today and hopefully get back on schedule!

Here’s what happened in Fitness, Fashion, and Fitness Fashion the first week of Novembrrrrr!

Let’s start with Fitness Fashion: 
First of all, I have to apologize that I had the wrong date in Friday’s Favorite Fit last week. I wrote that Athleta’s Dog Adoption event was on Saturday, but it was actually on Sunday. I hope none of you went on Saturday because of me and my faulty information! To be honest, I went on Saturday….and I was very confused when there were no dogs at the store! I returned on Sunday though, and got to see all the cute furry friends. It sounds like a lot of the dogs found forever homes that day, which is great news.

I did my part by adding to my “fitness fashion” attire with one of Athleta’s Long Sleeve Twist Tops in Halogen Green.
source
The saleswoman explained to me that due to the Polygiene permanent odor control material, you don’t have to wash this top every time you wear it. Instead, you can just let it air dry after a run, and it shouldn’t get all stinky! I tried it two runs in a row this week, and to be honest, it didn’t smell….so far, I say it works! Less laundry sounds great to me. If you remember Dustin's guest post about being married to fitness (it was pretty funny, I'll admit- you can read it HERE) one of his complaints was all the sweaty laundry. Well, maybe Polygiene is the solution!

In addition to odor control, it’s a pretty warm base layer, it's super soft, and it has the requisite finger holes that we all love.
Here are the features:
• Nylon/Polyester/Spandex (w/Polygiene®)
• UNSTINKABLE. Wear it more. Wash it less.
• Natural silver salts give the fabric antimicrobial protection that lasts wash after wash after wash (features Polygiene® permanent odor control)
• Lightweight, smooth, soft, stretchy
• Machine wash and dry.
• Next-to-skin fit (size up for a less body-hugging fit)
• Scoop neck, raglan sleeves give you freedom to move
• Non-chafing seamless design won't rub you the wrong way

The top is a solid addition to my winter running wardrobe, not to mention I felt good about spending some money knowing that 10% was going to Second Hand Hounds.

Next- What’s going on in Fashion?
Remember that faux leather jacket that I received from Stitch Fix? I received some comments that people thought I should have kept it, but I had already sent back the rejects from my first fix. However, I “like” Primp Boutique on facebook, and they posted a picture of a very similar faux leather jacket for cheaper than Stitch Fix, AND they carried it in a medium (my size).

What’s awesome about Primp is that if you see something on their facebook page, you can call and either reserve it for pickup (and try it on) or just have them ship it to you for a flat rate of $5! Pretty sweet. I called them up and had them ship me that faux leather jacket, and it was still less than the one at Stitch Fix and more importantly, in the right size!

And last but not least, what happened last week in fitness? 
Monday: 7 miles in the AM, Haute Barre class in the PM (This was my first time trying out Haute Barre. Stay tuned for a full review of all the different barre classes and studios in the Twin Cities area, including this one!)
Tuesday: My first “double” run day. Read about it here. 11 miles on the day.
Wednesday: Kettlebells at Balance Fitness
Thursday: 7 miles in the AM, Yoga at the Salt Cave Minneapolis  in the PM
Friday: 6 am barre class at The Barre (This was my first time trying out The Barre as well- awesome studio, I will include a full review in that full recap of all the local barre studios)
Saturday: 12 miles with the CBRC
Sunday: 3 miles with Matilda, Pure Barre class

Total: 40 miles, 3 barre classes, 1 yoga, and 1 kettlebell/strength.

It was a big week in fitness with a good mix of different types of exercise, and I could feel it by the end.  I definitely enjoyed all the variety and fresh new fits this week.

After all that fitness, it was time for a little fun! Saturday night, our neighbor Amol, who is the owner of the food truck “Hot Indian” hosted a Diwali party. I had never been to a Diwali party, and was excited to learn about this traditional Hindu celebration.
Owner of Hot Indian
source
Upon arrival, Amol’s wife gave us a little printout which explained “Diwali Basics”- (Diwali for Dummies?) Apparently, this celebration often includes gambling. Our neighbors didn't leave this part out. They had a poker table set up with people gambling. Fireworks are also usually a part of the celebration, and fireworks were indeed included in this celebration as well.

The highlight for me, of course, was the FOOD. So much great Indian finger foods- spicy lamb meatballs, kebobs, fig/raisin flatbreads, lettuce wraps…I can’t even remember it all, but I ate A LOT, and everything was amazing.

We were all encouraged to wear saris or other Indian attire, but this was the closest I could come up with…

I tried my best!

So that’s what happened last week in Fitness, Fashion, and Fitness Fashion! 
How was your week? Any fresh, new fits that you tried in fitness? Please share in the comments!

***Umm..can we quickly mention all the PR trouble that the lululemon founder is in these days? (If you missed it, read THIS) I admit, all this bad press has turned me towards Athleta more, yet even so, I can’t help it- I still love some of the lululemon gear and probably will continue to shop there (wunder unders, bitty bracers, groovy shorts). I'm torn!

What are your thoughts? Will you continue to shop at Lululemon or have you turned away from them completely?

No comments:

Post a Comment