Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fitting Fitness: BarreAmped Express at Balanced Barre

By Jess in Minneapolis

There are some mornings where you just cannot get up early, but you also have something going on after work. You need to squeeze in a workout...so what other options do you have?

How about the lunch hour?

This can be a tough time to work out, particularly if you try to go for a run or take a hot yoga class that mandates a post-workout shower. That extra "getting-ready" time can lead to much too long of a lunch break, especially for the ladies (though stay tuned, as I am working on a post with tips to get ready as quickly as possibly after a workout!)

Running or hot yoga are rarely an option for me over lunch, unless it was an extremely slow day at the office. However, I did just recently try out a fresh, new fit that I think might work for me to fit fitness into the workday!

Balanced Barre now offers a 45-minute BarreAmped Express class over the noon hour.

I wrote about the regular Balanced Barre classes HERE and HERE but those reviews were about the regular one-hour classes. The primary difference in the express class was that we skipped the arm/weights in the beginning of the class. We went straight to the barre!

Yet all the moves at the barre were just the same, and my legs were shaking just the same. However, since the class is a series of small, isolated muscle movements (and no cardio), I didn't really break a sweat, as I would have in hot yoga or running. Don't get me wrong, I could feel it the next day in the butt and legs. It was definitely a workout, but it was perfect for the lunch hour.  I could easily put on some fresh deodorant, and change right back into my work clothes for the second half of the work day. My coworkers were none the wiser (unless of course, they are reading this now.)

I think this 45 minute express class could be a valuable option for others who are just as busy to squeeze in a little lift/tone/burn into the day.  You can get a solid 45 minutes of strength and core work, in less time than it takes to eat the sandwich and soup special at Panera!

Unfortunately, the express class is just as expensive as the regular one hour class. At nearly $20/class (I usually buy a package of 4 classes for $74), I would probably rather get my money's worth and also get the full upper body workout in the full hour class.

Despite the price, I think I will still occasionally incorporate this lunch option as a great way to fit fitness into a busy day!
BarreAmped Express is only currently offered at the St. Louis Park Balanced Barre on Tuesdays and Fridays at 12:00.

Come check it out, and "shake to change" over the lunch hour ladies!


No comments:

Post a Comment