Sunday, November 17, 2013

Weekly Recap and a Beer Mile.

By Jess in Minneapolis

Time for another weekly recap already!

Here's how the week panned out in Fitness:
Monday: Ran 7 miles in the AM, Hot Power Fusion at Corepower Yoga in the PM
Tuesday: Ran 4 miles with Matilda
Wednesday: Ran 7 miles in the AM
Thursday: Ran 7 miles in the AM, Kettlebells at Balance Fitness in the PM
Friday: BarreAmped at Balanced Barre in the AM
Saturday: 10 miles with the CBRC
Sunday: Hot Power Fusion at Corepower Yoga

Total: 35 miles, 1 strength, 1 barre, 2 yoga

The highlight this week in fitness was definitely the kettlebell class at Balance. I went last week, so it wasn't a lack of consistency that made this week's class so hard, but my, oh, my, my legs were so sore after this class! It must have been all of the thruster squats and swings between each upper body exercise, but the class was definitely a doozy, and it led me to cut back on my running on Saturday (10 rather than 12 miles) and not run at all on Sunday to let my legs fully recover. I love being that sore though! (I just have to be sure not to take that class before a race).

And here's what happened last week in Fitness Fashion:
Nothing much was new last week in Fitness Fashion, so I thought I'd share something I'm currently throwing a fit for at lululemon. It's their "fluff off vest". This vest is pretty similar to the downalicioius vest that I am also throwing a fit for at Athleta. Ideas for my Christmas wish list? I think both options would be a perfect winter running essential for the frigid temps that are surely on their way in Minneapolis. Priced at $128 for the fluff off vest at lululemon and $138 for Athleta's version, I am hoping that Santa reads the Right Fits.


And of course, here's an update on the week in Fashion:
My girlfriends and I have discussed that we frequently buy cocktail dresses for weddings, galas, etc, and we only wear them once or twice, before letting them gather dust in the far corners of the closet. Personally, I am a big offender of this wasteful act. I even have a few dresses that I have never worn! With that said, I figured a cocktail dress swap would be a creative way to expand the wardrobe for a price that fits the bill. We all have a few weddings coming up this spring and summer, so this was an opportunity to find a "new-to-me" dress for those special occasions.

This past Wednesday, about eight girlfriends came over for some wine and appetizers. They brought over all kinds of awesome dresses....like all of these lovely gowns:
We took turns trying on dresses that appealed to our personal style, and I think several of us found some great "borrows" for future weddings and events!

Between this and the Fashion Swaps that I have hosted, I obviously like to swap clothes. I think it's due to growing up with four sisters and borrowing (stealing?) clothes from their closets that left me always planning this type of event (read about past fashion swaps HERE and HERE)

Beer Mile?

In between all the fitness, fashion, and fitness fashion, Dustin and I attended the CBRC Beer Mile event on Saturday night. We both opted to be spectators, as I just don't have the stomach to down four beers while running a mile...Yep, you read that right.  In fact, apparently, this is a popular event for running clubs, but I had never heard of it.

The official rules of this "event" are as follows:

1. Teams consist of two competitors.



2. Each competitor drinks four cans of beer and runs four laps of the 1/4 mile route. Teammates alternate the ‘beer then run’ process (beer/lap/tag). Finish the lap by tagging your partner. Your teammate will then drink a beer and run a ¼ mile and this will continue until each team has run 8 laps and consumed 8 beers (4 per person).



3. The timer will start with the opening of the first beer from the first runner of each team. The timer will stop when the second runner from each team crosses the finish line after his/her fourth lap. The first team to cross the finish line after drinking 8 beers and running 8 laps is the winner.



4. After the first lap, beers cannot be opened until tagged by a partner finishing a lap.


5. Competitors must drink canned beer and the cans must not be less than 355ml or 12oz. No bottles will be allowed on the course for safety reasons. No Solo cups in the interest of consistency for those drinking from cans.



6. Beer cans must not be tampered with in any manner. I.e. No shot gunning or puncturing of the can except for opening the can by the tab at the top. No straws, bongs or other aids are allowed in order to increase the speed of pouring / drinking. Wide mouth cans, e.g. Coors Light, are acceptable.



7. Beer must be a minimum of 4.2% alcohol by volume. That means no 3.2% gas station beer. Hard ciders and lemonades will also not suffice. The beer must be a fermented alcoholic beverage brewed from malt and flavored with hops. Acceptable beers: Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Coors Light, Hamm’s, Heineken, Michelob Golden Draft, Miller Lite, PBR, Keystone Light, Miller High Life, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Genuine Draft Lite, Old Milwaukee, Yuengling (if you can find it). Others may be allowed at the discretion of the Race Director. 

8. Common beers that do not meet the minimum alcohol threshold: Amstel Light, Busch Light, Hamm’s Light, Heineken Light, Michelob Golden Draft Light, Michelob Ultra, O’douls (obviously)

9. Spilling is high discouraged. The name of the game is beer mile, not ‘pour it down your shirt mile.’ Mild spillage while drinking may result in a one shot penalty at the discretion of the drinking judge. Heavy spillage while drinking may result in a two shot penalty at the discretion of the drinking judge.




10. Upon drinking a beer, each competitor must turn his or her can completely upside down before running a lap. An unreasonable amount of beer/foam poured from the can will result in either a one or two shot penalty at the discretion of the drinking judge.


A handful of people joined Dustin and me as "spectators." Needless to say, the shenanigans were quite entertaining for the non-participators.

spectators

Runners and beer....it seems that they go hand-in-hand!

Here's a YouTube video of the fastest beer mile on record: 
(The CBRC version was not on a track, but was otherwise the same.)




It was a fun event, and I was impressed by how quickly some people could still run (and drink?) Probably not the healthiest event in the world, but it was all in good fun.

How was your week? Any fresh, new fits in Fitness, Fashion, or Fitness Fashion? Please share!


2 comments:

  1. Ha, it was! Maybe next year, I will have to man up and participate....but so many people were throwing up, I don't know if I can handle that.

    Thanks for reading- I have missed your posts, I hope you haven't given up on blogging!

    ReplyDelete