Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekly Recap for the Last Week of March: Capitol Run, Kate Spade, and Lululemon!

Hi all, I hope your weekends are going swimmingly. Today is a gorgeous 60 degree day in Minneapolis.  Since this is the first day this warm since last October, of course everyone is out and about and enjoying the nice temps. Apparently, the trails around the lakes are crazy- or so Dustin tells me. I am trying to be smart, and taking today as a non-running day after a 20 mile run yesterday, but Dustin did a run with Matilda, and reported back that the lakes were crazy busy. Be forewarned! I think we're all just ecstatic that it finally feels like spring.

So, yes- I did a 20 mile capitol run yesterday. Most of the time when we do a "capitol run" its a full 22 mile run before the taper. However, Flying Pig is a few weeks after the Boston marathon, and the capitol run was organized primarily for the Boston training group. Kelly, Dustin, and I (the Flying Pig runners) just tagged along for our 20 miler. It was kind of nice to skip Lake Nokomis for the "shortcut" to the capitol. It made 20 miles feel easy!
Do you recognize Dustin's jacket for the lululemon warehouse sale?

Okay, other than the 20 miler, how did this week turn out in fitness?

Monday: After a lot of hard miles the week before (ending with the Irish Run 8k on Sunday and a barre class in the evening) I decided to take Monday off of running. Instead I took a C2 class at Corepower Yoga, which felt great. I was definitely sore and my muscles needed the stretch.

Tuesday: A non-running day on Monday left my legs ready for a big running day on Tuesday! Kelly and I did 10 miles with 5 repeats of the "winter hill", a.k.a. a hill over by Lake of the Isles that is 0.75 long (or 1.5 miles round trip). We kept tempo pace on the way up and tempo pace on the way down. Of course, tempo pace was easy-peasy on the way down; not so much on the way up! The workout ended up being nearly 8 miles of hard effort, which left me pretty beat the next day.

Wednesday: Even though I was tired from the hills, I managed an easy 5.5 mile run with Matilda. I didn't wear my Garmin, and I let her stop and sniff as often as she liked.

Thursday: 8.5 miles in the AM with Kelly in the rainy/fog mix. Legs were still tired from the hills.

Friday: Complete rest. Much needed!

Saturday: 20 mile long run. I felt pretty strong throughout this run, and the sun was shining and the weather wasn't so bad. Kelly and I have been running together quite a bit lately, so we decided to bring "Chat Pack" cards to ask each other questions to help make the miles pass quickly.

I highly recommend these fun little questions for long runs. Buy them HERE.

Best running buddy!
We had two organized support stops (which were AWESOME!) along the way as well. A big thank you to the volunteers who came out to give us Gatorade, water, candy, etc. at these stops. It really helped!

Our last mile to the capitol was our fastest- we finished strong, which was a great feeling. 

Sunday: Hour long barre class at the Barre in Edina. Lots of arm and core work. My quads weren't in the mood for some of the leg work, so I took it easy on that part. I love the classes at the Barre, as they really burn out your upper body!

I think I did a good job of balancing hard running workouts, yoga, and rest this week. Next week is another tough week with two track workouts, and then the Ron Daws 25k on Saturday, so I am going to really be careful to make sure I'm getting enough sleep, foam rolling plenty, and eating right.

What's happening in Fitness Fashion this week?
In Fitness Fashion this week, of course the highlight for me was the lululemon warehouse sale. I scored a lot of items for a price that fit the bill! Read all about it HERE. So fun!

What's happening in Fashion this week?
In Fashion, I posted to Facebook about a flash sale online at Kate Spade, where I snagged this bag: 

It was originally $315, and I got it for $99! I think it will be a great bag for work or play this summer, and I can't pass up a deal that good.  Apparently, Kate Spade has these flash sales every once and awhile, and they only last for a few hours. You can sign up to get the notifications for future flash sales HERE.

Well, that's all from me for the weekly recap.

Did you check out the Lululemon sale? Find anything good? Please share!

Dustin and I actually stopped by the sale again this morning after my barre class, just to see what was left. There was slim pickings, but I did pick up a few more Bitty Bracers for my friend Susie, at a really great price- only $30 for two of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment