Friday, July 25, 2014

Fits Do Race Reviews: The 2014 Torchlight 5k


Last Wednesday evening, I ran the Torchlight 5k. Seriously guys, I have been running this race forever. I think this was my 8th or 9th year. But it’s so fun! Past reviews of this race can be found HERE (2013) and HERE (2012). 

The Torchlight 5k is a unique event that I would definitely recommend for all types of runners. It’s pretty rare to find a race on a weeknight, and its fun that the race draws a lot of fans. Yes, it’s true that the spectators are lining the course because of the Aquatennial Festival parade that occurs immediately after the 5k, but they are still there cheering for us!

The race has really grown over the past few years. Its now over 6,000 runners and is chip-timed and part of the USATF team racing circuit.

From the race website,
"Whether you are a dedicated runner or just someone who jogs from the couch to the fridge, the Torchlight 5K is the fun run for everyone! Grab your family, friends and running shoes because the Torchlight 5K is the one run that starts with a bang and ends with a brew. That's right, our legendary post-race party features musical entertainment and complimentary refreshments. It's the party of the year that just happens to start with a run!”

Registration/Packet Pickup:
Be sure to pick up your race packet ahead of time at any one of the many stores that offer it. Do NOT wait until race day, as the line for packet pickup is really long. You will still have to be carded at the start line to get a wristband for beers at the finish (though there was also a stand at the finish line for bracelets too if you can’t handle the line at the start)

Don’t even get me started on what was my biggest blonde moment in race registration history… Apparently I registered months ago before the USATF team was set up online. Well, I must have registered, but I didn’t think that I did- I thought that I never clicked “register” because our team wasn’t available online yet. Then, when our CBRC team was set up, I ended up registering again…Then, many weeks later, Dustin received his bib and shirt in the mail and I thought, well why didn’t I get mine? I must not have registered…so I registered AGAIN. 

So yes, I was registered THREE times. Smart, Jess, smart…Fortunately, I was able to work with someone at Lifetime Fitness (the primary sponsor of the race) to get reimbursed for 1 of the 3 registrations, but I still ended up with two bibs and two shirts.



Oddly, for one of my registrations, I received a cotton tee and for the other I received a dri-fit shirt. They must have run out of one of the options and switched over to a different option?? 
Anyways, just be sure to register early so you can get your packet in the mail and don’t have to wait in line. You also get your name on your bib and an extra beer ticket. Register early- just not three times!

The Course/Weather:
The Torchlight 5k is always HOT, but this past Wednesday wasn’t too bad. I think it was in the low-80’s and not that humid.  A group of the girls met at St. Anthony Main to get in a 2.25 mile warm-up to the Basilica. (It was also a good idea to park our cars near the finish line, otherwise, we would have to walk all the way back to the start after the race)

The 5k starts near the Basilica of Saint Mary and then follows the Aquatennial's Torchlight Parade route, ending at Father Hennepin Park for a post-race party. There were two water stops on the course, which was pretty nice for a short 3.1 mile race. The start area was a pretty crazy; with over 6,000 runners there, it was a little stressful. The bathroom lines were a bit disorganized- no clear lines, but just a mass of people waiting and quietly getting annoying with people they thought were cutting in line…Minnesotans are just too nice- we never would say anything, right?


After finally getting through the bathroom line, we then pushed our way to the start. I would have been more stressed about getting caught in the back of the pack at the start, but fortunately, I was running as part of our run club’s USATF racing team. We were able to cut right in the front in a separate start. Awesome...except that everyone around us was incredibly fast, and USATF rules go by gun time, not chip time, so everyone was pushing their way up. No one was afraid to toe the line at this one! I was a little worried that I would be pushed over when the gun went off, ha! But seriously, some of those guys were running under 15 minutes! So impressive…

The rest of the course winds through downtown and into the St. Anthony Main area. It's really a beautiful little course that shows off the city quite well.

Finish Line:
Be careful on the last turn onto St. Anthony Main at the finish line, as you will be running on cobblestone. The finish line was hot and crowded, but they did have a wide assortment of goodies- water, “Aspire” drink (I’m seeing this at a lot of races?), salted nut rolls, rice krispie treats, and POPSICLES (So good!)

A flat, fast race!
I ran 13 seconds faster than the week before at the Esprit de She. The Esprit de She had some rolling hills, whereas the Torchlight was pretty flat. My official time was 22:46 (pace of 7:20). Of course, I went out too fast and my first mile was 7:08, and then I couldn’t hold that for the last two miles. I’m happy with my performance…but really happy for Dustin, who broke 19 minutes with a time of 18:52!

As long as you aren’t stuck in the back of the masses of runners, you could definitely have a really strong race here.

Fitness Fashion:
On to the fitness fashion part of this post! I have started to venture into the “spandex” territory for running shorts. I always thought my booty/thighs were too big for these to work for me, but I actually like the way they fit. No chafing, which is huge. They also look kind of “hardcore” so I like to wear them for races! 

I have two pair of the Saucony Bullet Tight Short (find them HERE ) which have a zippered pocket in the back, and a lining on the inside of the legs that helps prevent them from riding up.

We bought new Calhoun Beach Running Club singlets this year. They are an Asics performance singlet. The logo was designed by graphic designer Kelli Fox (member of our run club). I like the design, but I have to be honest that I don’t love the fit of the actual singlet. Its just not very flattering (loose in the wrong places, high-necked, and short in the body) and I don’t like the color red that much. Sorry!  

Anyways, I paired the whole get-up with my CBRC BIC band (there are still a few left ladies if you want one!) and my Brooks Ravennas and my Garmin 210.


Post-race Party!
The biggest draw for the Torchlight 5k is definitely the post-race party. Complete with a pop cover band, the music gave it even more of a party vibe...oh, and you could get your photo taken in a little photo booth.


Every participant receives three coupons for a Miller Lite (IMHO, better than the Michelob Ultras of years past!) A fine pilsner indeed!


Personally, I think I prefer the smaller 5k’s like the Brian Kraft on Memorial Day, but I still highly recommend the Torchlight. It’s a summer tradition that I will continue to do every year!

Run Hot, Party Cool!



No comments:

Post a Comment