Saturday, August 30, 2014

Fits on the Road: Sioux Falls, South Dakota

This past weekend, we travelled to Sioux Falls, South Dakota!

We were in Sioux Falls for our friends Paul and Laura's wedding. I wasn't really sure what to expect in Sioux Falls...I mean, it's a town of about 160,000. I suppose I thought it would be a lot of farmlands and chain restaurants.  And there was some of that. Yet I was pleasantly surprised by the charm of Sioux Falls, and I wanted to share all the details of our short weekend trip to this city!

We took Friday off of work to get in our long runs, and then we hit the road a little before lunch time. Sioux Falls is about a 4 hour drive from Minneapolis. We made a stop in Mankato for lunch, eating at Pub 500 the same place we ate back when this same Paul who was getting married won the Mankato Marathon in 2012! (Did you miss that post? Be sure to catch up HERE!)

We arrived in Sioux Falls around 3:30 pm and we checked into our room at the Sioux Falls Clubhouse Hotel and Suites. Our room was quite large, with two separate rooms- one with a king bed, one with a pull-out couch, small kitchenette, and living room area.

After we settled into our room, we had some time to kill, so we walked across the street to check out "The Little Cellar Wine Company." This wine store and cafe was really cute. We received a "card" to use with the self-serve wine stations, where 4-5 whites and 4-5 reds were "on tap." You could order a taste, a half-pour, or a full glass, and you used your card to keep track of your purchases.

Dustin and I each did a few half-pours to try out a few different wines. We enjoyed hanging out on the patio before some of the other wedding guests arrived. Eventually, more people made their way to Sioux Falls. We were getting hungry, so after a few quick Yelp searches (as well as referrals back to the bride's recommendations on the wedding website) we decided to head to "A Taste of the Big Apple." The pizza here was decent and there were some locals brews available. We thoroughly enjoyed the warm August night on their patio.

Eventually, we made it back to the hotel for the Wedding Day 5k packet pickup (read more about that race HERE)

Saturday morning, we were up early for the 5k. After showers and a little lounging around, we decided it was time to explore Sioux Falls!

Our first stop, of course, was the falls after which the city is named!

The falls were much more expansive than I expected. The surrounding park was also very well-maintained. I was impressed!

After getting our fill of the falls, we headed to the historic downtown area of the city. Again, I was impressed by how well-maintained this little 3-block area was. There were lots of really cute boutiques, including the 605 Running Store.

Other mentionable boutiques included Engage Paperie, Half Baked bakery, Man Code, and CH Patiserie.

We grabbed lunch at M.B. Haskett, which was a cute little delicatessen. Dustin had a brie and prosciutto sandwich and I had a savory crepe.

After lunch, Dustin shopped a little at Man Code and found a cool sweater. This store carried a lot of upscale brands and trendy pieces and it seems like a real gem in Sioux Falls for menswear.

One of our favorite stores was CH Patiserie. We all purchased some of the colorful and flavorful macaroons from this tasty pastry store to enjoy later. They were so good!

After exploring downtown Sioux Falls, Meggan and I headed to A Perfect 10 Nail & Beauty Bar, Sioux Falls' first blow-dry bar. Nothing against this salon, as it was cute and the stylists were really nice, but I just didn't love my blow-out. The stylist tried to "pin" my hair to add the curls, and I should have been more adamant when telling her that doesn't work on my stick-straight hair. My hair NEEDS a curling iron. Yet she did the pinning method and my hair fell flat immediately. I brushed it out when I got back to the hotel and just used my flat iron quickly instead. The salon was still a nice place, with relaxing looking pedicure/manicure chairs and an affordable menu of wine and cocktails while you get pampered.

Okay. now onto the wedding!

The ceremony was held at the chapel at Augustana College and then we were shuttled out to Calico Skies winery in Iowa.

This reception setting was unbelievable- so gorgeous, and definitely worth the 40 minute drive from Sioux Falls!




I think the pictures tell a better story that I ever could. The tables in the dining room were so colorful. The photos for the table numbers were so fitting and coordinated very well with everything else.




Toasts, first dances, a bouquet toss...all the traditional pieces were there, as well as a live band. The wine was flowing as well as the beers. Such a fun night...

Big D!


Sioux Falls...you were a pleasant surprise. Paul and Laura, congrats!

I was so happy to be a part of such a special night. Cheers to the happy couple!

2 comments:

  1. I was just in Sioux Falls a few weeks ago!! Such a cute downtown area...although I haven't been to half of the places you mentioned so I'll have to check them out next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Marion! Yes, the downtown was really cute with some nice boutiques. Probably so different from Vegas, right? Ha!

      Delete