Sunday, October 12, 2014

Weekly Recap: A Romantic Date at the Track and a Lunar Eclipse

Happy October! I love this time of year for so many reasons, but the excitement of the marathon is definitely a big one. Congratulations to my friends who completed the Chicago Marathon today. So many strong races out there!

Here's a quick recap of what happened during the first week of October in Fitness and Fitness Fashion!

First, here's my fitness recap:
Monday: 1 hour barre class at The Barre in the morning, and then in the evening, it was off to the track! I had mile repeats on the OBX marathon training schedule. Workout: 2 mile warm-up, and then five 1600's (4 laps) with 1 recovery lap in between for 9 miles total. This was a really tough workout for me. I tried to stay somewhere between my 5k and 10k pace for the miles. By the fifth one, I was definitely struggling.

It's supposed to be hard! It was only Dustin and me at the track...what a romantic date, right? Nothing says true love like running in the dark at a deserted track until you feel close to puking.

To be honest, it was "fun" when we were done to look back on how this is how we spent our evening together.

Tuesday: I often struggle with a short turnaround between a workout the night before and getting up the next morning, so I knew a Tuesday morning run was not going to happen. But I had to stay late at work Tuesday. Tuesday ended up being a complete rest day. C'est la vie.

Wednesday: 7.5 miles with Matilda. We were up early to catch the lunar eclipse.


Matilda was not impressed...
It was much prettier in real life than what I captured on my iPhone, I swear! There were tons of people out around the lakes with telescopes and cameras as well.

Thursday: Another morning run- just about 8 miles with some faster miles thrown in the middle for good measure.

Friday: Night light trail run 10k. There was a 5k and half marathon option at this race as well. It was SO much fun. I had never run a trail race in the dark before. Everyone was required to wear a head lamp or knuckle lights. The 10k/5k started at 7 pm at Battle Creek Regional Park in St. Paul. I highly recommend it! I'm hoping to have a guest post this week from my friend who made this year's race extra super special, so I'll save some of the details for that one.
at the start of the race
Saturday:  I am not used to running the Friday before a long run (#worthit !)  so my body was especially tired Saturday morning. I ended up missing run club, but I had 20 miles on my schedule, I had to get it done. I decided to bring Matilda for the first 10, come home to fuel up and drop her off, and then do the second 10 with music. Breaking the 20 miles up into two runs really helped me mentally. I don't usually listen to music either so it was a welcome change for the second 10 miles.

Sunday: Another easy run (5.5 miles) with Matilda.

(Um..I guess Matilda's mileage this week was pretty high too!)

Summary: About 56 miles of running, 1 barre class, and 1 complete rest day.

It was another week with a lot of running and not so much cross training. As I approach the final week of hard training before the taper, running is truly the only thing I have time for it seems! I didn't have time for much else in the evenings for exercise, as I had dinner plans with girlfriends both Wednesday night (Trattoria Tosca!) and Thursday night (Bachelor Farmer). It was worth it though- I hadn't seen my college roommate in about 4 years. She's living in Munich now. It was so great to see her and catch up on her exciting European adventures!

What's happening in fitness fashion?
In fitness fashion, I ordered myself another pair of the Oiselle roga shorts in "fast red" with plans to test these out for the marathon. I went with a size medium, but they were much too big! I am so confused, as mentioned in this THIS POST my orange pair is a size medium but when I checked, it turns out my navy pair is a small.

Alas, the "fast red" mediums are just too big. I have to return them. Sad. I had really hoped to have them in time for my 22 miler next week to try them out for race day!
Nonetheless, these are still some of my favorite shorts currently, its just hard to know what size I will be going forward!  If you haven't tried them yet, I highly recommend them. You can often find them on Amazon to avoid shipping (Oiselle's shipping is $5 flat rate).

Well, that's from the Right Fits in Fitness and Fashion this week! Next week will be tough as I enter into my final hard week of training for the OBX marathon, I plan to focus on sleeping enough, stretching, and eating well. Soon it will be taper time!

No comments:

Post a Comment