Sunday, November 27, 2011

Fresh New Fit:Corepower DVD's!

By: Cool J
After a long weekend with my family celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday, we returned yesterday after a full day of driving. This morning I was ready to get back to my regular workout regime.  It wasn't that we were completely lazy over the holidays. The D-man and I did do a 10 mile run (7 miles before the infamous Family Turkey Trot and a 5 miler the next day, as well as plenty of time running around at the dog park and playing on the trampoline.) But we definitely ate a bit more than we should have. 

So I was ready to get back into it, and decided to run an easy 8 miler this morning, and came home looking for a bit more. 
I decided to try out one of my new Corepower Yoga DVD's. 


One of my sisters recently asked me if I could recommend a good yoga DVD for runners. She was concerned about preventing injury, as well as increasing her toning and strength. Though I have tried a lot of different yoga studios in the area, I hadn't previously tried any at-home versions. I decided to purchase a few options from Corepower Yoga- A 3-disc vinyasa series and a 3-disc yoga sculpt series. 


I started with the Intermediate Yoga Sculpt, since I figured the Level 1 might have been a little too easy, as I was already familiar with the basic moves.


Level 2/Intermediate did move a bit slower than a regular yoga sculpt class moves. However, I did think that it gave me a decent workout for an at-home option. The moves were similar. There was a short cardio segment, as well as a sculpt series on both sides with weights. 

Normally, I would do any at-home working out in our basement, but our TV down there recently decided it had had enough, and stopped working on us. So I had to set up my studio upstairs. 


I only had these large 5 pound weights- not ideal, but they did the job.


I mentioned on an earlier post what yoga sculpt entails (here)
Their website describes it as follows: 
CorePower Yoga Sculpt is a total body workout designed to tone and sculpt every major muscle group. Dumbbells, body bars and free weights serve as your own personal adjuster as you move through sun salutations and other yoga postures, enabling extra length and depth in each pose. This intense, but easy to follow program compliments your regular yoga practice while pushing your strength and flexibility to new heights."
Basically, you do a lot of the vinyasa moves while incorporating weights, push-ups, and some cardio. 
A few side planks to work on core strength.

Downward dog...
(yes, there is a sleeping cat next to me- apparently, he didn't find the class very entertaining)

Utkatasana- chair pose

Overall, I thought Level 2/Intermediate yoga sculpt was okay- I would give it a 6 whereas I would give the in-studio classes a 10. I do prefer the shared experience of an in-studio class, the better tunes, the heated classroom (the D-man does NOT keep our house at a balmy 98 degrees in the winter!) I would recommend the class to someone on the road or in a city without a nearby studio, or I would recommend it to someone who has a challenging schedule for making it to an actual studio class. This would be perfect for someone like my sister, who has a young baby at home. She can do the hour long class while her baby naps. Functional Fit!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to Cool J for also getting me a set of these DVDs as we do not have a studio down South. Looking forward to testing out the at home DVDs this week before diving into P90X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL, I'd like to read a post of your review- what did you think of the DVD's vs. the actual class you attended in March? Let the readers know!

    ReplyDelete