Friday, February 24, 2012

Favorite Fit: Brooks Adrenaline Running Shoes!

By Jessie

One of the many great things about running is that there really is just one VITAL  piece of equipment- SHOES.

Yes, we runners do spend a lot of money on apparel (hence my husband’s rant #9 here). We do end up spending money on fuel, fuel belts, socks, body-glide, race registrations, run club memberships, winter running gear (like yak traks, gloves, hats, head lamps), etc. but honestly, the most vital piece of equipment is the shoes.

I have been running in Brooks Adrenaline for 6 years. This 6 year time period has included 11 marathons- this shoe is the “RIGHT FIT” for me.

I originally selected this shoe based on advice from my local running store, Marathon Sports

Like many running stores, they offer an in-store gait analysis. They also suggest that you bring in your worn pair, so they can see the pattern of wear, and use their knowledge of gait/shoe wear to make a solid recommendation for your purchase.

Based on their recommendation, I have continued to be loyal to the Brooks year after year (it’s the right fit!)

Yet, even though the Brooks Adrenaline have done me well, I had to wonder if the “grass was greener” in another brand…So last summer, I went out on a limb, and decided to try a new shoe, the Mizuno Wave Rider. 

Was I SURE the Brooks Adrenaline were the best for me? Maybe there is something better out there???

I headed to the same store (Marathon Sports) that made the Brooks Adrenaline recommendation for me. I tried on a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders- they felt light and I loved the color (clearly not a good reason to pick a pair of shoes!) They seemed to fit okay….



I did one short run, and one long run in my new fancy Wave Riders…and the blisters on my feet were unbearable. At first I thought I could tough it out. Maybe it was just my feet adjusting to the new shoes? But alas, it was too painful.

I quickly returned the shoes.

Marathon Sports accepts returns up to two weeks after purchase, as long as there is minimal wear. They did give me a slightly disapproving look when I returned the shoes, questioning my interpretation of“minimal wear” but they still accepted them. (Thank you!)

I returned the Mizuno’s, and purchased another pair of Brooks Adrenaline ASAP!

Ah, the joy and comfort to my sore feet! 
LESSON LEARNED! Why mess with something if it’s not broken?

I recently purchased my zillionth pair online (free shipping on BrooksRunning.com !) Now I will have a new pair on hand when I start to notice my old pair is “dying”.

So how do you know when your shoes are dead?
Try on a new pair of the model that you are currently wearing.
Compare this to your current shoes.
If the cushioning in your shoes feels dead in comparison, it probably is.
Time for a new pair!

Track your shoe’s life/mileage
I haven’t always been that diligent about counting the miles on my shoes. The recommended mileage is between 350-550 miles, but this can definitely vary based on your running style, body weight, and the surface on which you run. If you run about 25 miles a week, you should replace your shoes every 3-4 months. I usually end up with more miles than 25/week, so my plan is to replace my shoes at least between every marathon, plus one more pair. With 3 marathons last year, that’s 4 pair a year.

It's definitely important to replace your shoes in a timely fashion. Running in old or worn out shoes can lead to an increase in running injuries. Over time, running shoes lose stability and shock absorption capacity. When this happens, the stress to the feet and legs increases dramatically. This added stress can lead to an overuse injury. The solution is often very simple- replace your shoes!

And what to do with your old pair? RECYCLE!

In my area, I know that Marathon Sports offers a recycling program, as well as the Nike store at the Mall of America.

This link at Runner’s World offers a whole list of options:

So what brand do you run in and why? 
Share your tips and experiences with us, so we can help others find the RIGHT FIT in running shoes!

2 comments:

  1. It is funny how particular runners are about their shoes. For me, I used to run in Brooks, but ever since getting fitted in the Saucony Hurricanes right before the Madison Marathon in 2007, I haven't tried anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice.

    ReplyDelete