Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fits Do Halloween: Go for the Gold!

By Jess

Like LL, I love the creativity and imagination that is prominently displayed on Halloween.  I'm always amazed at what some people come up with, and this year was definitely not a disappointment.

I had planned the D-man and my costumes a few weeks ago, and ours was a 2012 Olympic theme. It seemed timely- the Olympics only happen once every four years, right? So, I went as the gymnast Jordyn Weiber (complete with a boot for her stress fracture). 

....and Dusters was bronze medal-winning rower "Henrik Rummel." Google Henrik, and you'll understand the CENSORED sign!.

LL had reminded us in her post here that we should be careful not to select costumes that no one would understand, or costumes that are inappropriate...

She said :
Let your costume stand alone and tell a positive story. If your costume needs an explanation, it might not be that good. 

Uh-oh! The D-man's costume needed an explanation for most, and it was slightly offensive. Yes, it may have been a failed fit, but it was all in good fun.

With our costumes taken care of, I was excited to see what my friends came up with, and last night was the "great unveil." A run cub friend hosted a wonderful party in her new home. Along with great decorations and tasty food, her party attendees came up with an eclectic mix of creative costumes.

Apparently a binder of women was a popular idea!

I love costumes that are very "current." Presidential candidate Mitt Romney's comment about his "binder full of women" happened just last week, and these creative cats were able to put together funny and timely costumes in a very short time...I love it!


 The above group of "binders" arrived with Paul Ryan.


And Candy Crowley....
And of course Mitt Romney!

Political costumes are always good for a laugh, but TV and movie characters are also a good choice! There were a few "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" costumes at the party. I don't watch the show, but if you do, you'll probably recognize these guys:


Who hasn't seen and loved the movie "Elf" with Will Ferrell? These handmade costumes looked pretty authentic to me. Elf even carried his etch-a-sketch and marshmallow bag.



Here are some more of my favorites from the night. Enjoy!

{Abe Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth and a loofah!}

{A mail order bride! I love it!}


{A hipster with his requisite PBR.}


{PBS painter Bob Ross and his painting- so creative!}

 {50 Shades of Gray}

Henrik Rummel and Jordyn Weiber weren't the only Olympians at this party.

Although I was surprised that there were no Ryan Lochte's, there was a McKayla Maroney, and she was definitely NOT impressed by Henrik's bronze medal....


Happy Halloween readers!

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Jessie! I still have the censored sign at my house... haha

    ReplyDelete