Thursday, October 25, 2012

(Future) Fits Do Race Reviews

By Jess

Those of you who know me, know that I'm a planner. I like to have everything sorted out on an agenda.  And this includes planning out my future runs as well!

Here's what I have on the calendar for the remainder of 2012 and 2013. I'm sure plans could change, and maybe additional races will be added, but these are the ones I have marked on my planner.

November:
5th Annual Family Turkey Trot!
LL wrote about it last year (read about it here and here)
Granted, this is not a sanctioned race per say, but it sure is a fun one! LL and I have been directing this race for 5 years now. We have a blast half-pretending/half-serious that this is a real Thanksgiving 5k! Well, I guess it is a real 5k in that we run 3.1 miles, but the only participants are my family.


January:
The Securian Run
When: Saturday, January 26
Where: St. Paul, MN
Website: http://www.securian.com/Securian/Securian+Winter+Run/
This half marathon has a rocky history. The first time I registered, it was so cold that the race directors shortened it to a 1/4 marathon. The second time I ran it, the turn around point was set too early, and the race only ended up being 11 miles! Needless to say, I set quite a PR at that one! However, this is one of few long distance races in the area in the cold months of winter, so it's definitely on my radar.

April:
Goldy's 10 mile
When: Saturday, April 14
Where: University of Minnesota campus
Website: http://www.goldysrun.com
I ran this last year, and thought it was a lot of fun. Read about it here

May:
Borgess Run for the Health of It Half Marathon
Website: http://borgessrun.com
When: Sunday May 5th at 8 am
Where: Kalamazoo, Michigan

I'll be running this race with a few of my sisters, and even my dad! It will be his first half marathon.
This does mean I'll miss the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon that I ran last year (read about it here) but it will be worth it to share the half marathon experience with my family. Not to mention, I haven't been to Kalamazoo in ages! Fits on the Road- Family Style!

TC 1 Mile
Website: https://www.tcmevents.org/events/medtronic_tc_1_mile/
When: Mid-may- the date has not yet been finalized
Where: Downtown Minneapolis
Last year's review here
It's fun to do such a short race, and it's unique to run down Nicollet mall on a Thursday night. And it's over before you know it! After all, it's only a mile...


June
Newport Marathon
In my post Steamtown marathon haze, I did write about the Newport marathon. We have registered for this one for our spring race. Check out that post here
Website: http://www.newportmarathon.org
When: Saturday, June 1

I'm really looking forward to this marathon! It sounds like such a charming location, and I can't wait to spend some time exploring Oregon. The timing of this marathon works out well, as we will be able to piggyback off the Grandma's and Minneapolis marathon training schedule with the Calhoun Beach Running Club.

July:
Firecracker 10k
Website: http://www.active.com/running/excelsior-mn/firecracker-runs-2012-pl222
When: the 4th of July
I backed out last year, because it was crazy hot, and the race was shortened to a 5k. But I did participate the year before, and it was a blast!

Torchlight 5k
Website: http://www.torchlight5k.com
Last year's review here
I love this fun 5k! It runs before the Torchlight Parade downtown on a Wednesday night, with a great post-race party.

September
And the big finale for 2013....the Berlin Marathon!

"Pre-registration" opened today, and it filled up in 3.5 hours. Dusters and I both logged on this morning over breakfast and signed up. This is a huge marathon, with 40,000 runners. I'm guessing it might be similar to Chicago, where you feel crowded the whole way. This type of marathon probably isn't my favorite, and running an international marathon doesn't really fit into our 50 state goal, but we both think this will be a really cool experience. It's the 40th year for the Berlin Marathon, and some of the world's fastest times have been recorded here.

Well, that's it for today. There are few other races that might fit in: the Polar Dash (depending on the weather), the Get Ready to Rock 20 miler again, and maybe the Urban Wildlands half marathon. TBD folks, TBD!


No comments:

Post a Comment