Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Failed Fit: Ugly Christmas Sweaters and Too Much Food!

By Cool J

It's that time of year- the time when high-calorie holiday temptations await you around every corner!

Today was my team's holiday potluck lunch. Everyone brought way too much food, but it was all so good! I'm the kind of person who wants to try everything.


Potlucks, parties, family get togethers- it's a challenging time of year for our waistlines. Though I'm a huge proponent of everything in moderation, I still am a little scared to look at the scale after we get through the New Year. I've definitely indulged this season. I'm sure you have holiday parties on your calendars as well, so here's a few useful tips to help beat the holiday bulge!
  1. Eat in Anticipation. On the day of your event, eat a filling, healthy meal before the holiday party. Drink plenty of water so you are hydrated, and ensure you have satisfied your hunger before you arrive.
  2. Think Small: small plates that is. Grabbing a smaller plate actually works. The plates at our potluck were small, so unless I wanted to be the one returning for multiple trips to the buffet line, I was discouraged from loading up on another serving. 
  3. 1 for 1: 1 drink, 1 water. It’s inevitable that we will indulge a bit with the beverages this holiday season.  For every alcoholic beverage, follow up with a full glass of water. There were no alcoholic beverages today at my work party, but I do find this helpful at other events!
  4. The Tighter the Better: If you wear something a little more form-fitting to your event, you'll be much more self-aware of a potentially expanding belly! I'm all for comfort, but elastic waist yoga pants probably don't discourage over-eating. 
  5. Be Picky! Don’t waste calories on boring foods that you can have any time of the year. Instead, go for a new-to-you gourmet cheese or perhaps a home-made dessert that you don’t get to have any other time of the year. Make it count!
  6. Hit the gym! This tip is the easiest for me. I'm not good at resisting the food, but I do value working out. This is the best tip. Work out. Burn the cals. We're all going to indulge a bit, but if you workout before the party, you'll be a bit more justified in doing so! And you might feel a bit sexier in that form-fitting dress from tip #4!

And as for the fashion tips? 
I suggest avoiding loose-fitting sweater vests with overly busy patterns....

Failed Fit Cool J!




No comments:

Post a Comment