Monday, March 25, 2013

Featured Fit: An Interview with an Elite Runner: Jenna Boren

By Cool J in Minneapolis

If you're like me, you LOVE the interviews in Runner's World with elite runners. I find it fascinating to hear about how these amazing athletes first got into running, what they eat, how they work out, and more. It's nice to hear that they struggle with injury, motivation, etc, just like us middle-of-the-pack-runners!

I love these types of interviews, and I hope you do too, because I am very excited to post the Right Fits first Interview with an Elite

The Right Fits proudly presents....Jenna Boren!




Jenna recently ran the Olympic marathon trials in 2012. She also ran in them in 2008! So impressive!

Here is a quick bio, before we move onto the Q & A!

Marathon PR: 2:40
Half- marathon PR:  1:16
Born and Raised: Just south of Green Bay in Menasha, WI.  The Right Fits say, YAY for Wisconsinites!

Occupation:  Competitive runner and doctor at Uptown Natural Care Center

Education: Bachelor of Arts Degree in Biology and Education from Saint Olaf College in Northfield, MN. Doctor of chiropractic from Northwestern Health Sciences University in Bloomington, MN. Certified in Active Release Technique (A.R.T.) and chiropractic care

1. When did you get into running? Have you been running your whole life? What motivated you to start? 

I started running in college.  Fortunately, I went to a Division 3 school with an excellent cross country program.  I started in track as a terrible sprinter but they were afraid I would die if I ran anything longer than 400 meters.  I was horrible.  But, I was lucky because the coach (Chris Daymont) allowed everyone to run cross country as long as they were committed.  So, I went home that summer and built up my base and joined cross country.  From that point on...I was hooked.
  
2. What was your first marathon? 

3. What is your favorite marathon?

Grandma's Marathon (Duluth, Minnesota)

4. Tell us about the Olympic trials- what was the coolest part? 

I ran in 2008 and in 2012, and they were each very different.  I was injured going into 2008 and but was just happy to be part of the trials.  In 2012, I didn't run as well as I had hoped but the actual event was amazing.  Being in Houston, it was much easier for friends to come and be part of the experience (compared to Boston) so we had a huge crowd from Minnesota.  Also, it was awesome sharing it with the men (which was a first for the Trials).  Having friends and family down there made it extra special!  I also trained with a good friend of mine, Nicole Cueno.  I really enjoyed the process of training for it because Nicole, Chris (my husband) and I had some great long runs!  Those are the things that make it memorable!

5. So your husband is a runner too- do you train together? Do you ever get competitive with him? Who’s faster?? 

Ha ha!  We run together quite a bit.  He is faster but has a crazy schedule as he is in residency. He didn't start running regularly until 2007 and it is still pretty new to him. I actually don't feel competitive with him at all but he did pass me in a race running with another woman.  ;)   It is really fun for me to watch him get faster.  I don't want to pass him in a race because I would worry that something is wrong. 

6. Did you change your diet early on to help you become an elite marathoner?

I did some crazy things with my diet when I was first running (before marathon days) which were probably more detrimental than healthy. Limiting foods, restricting calories, etc.  It wasn't a major problem but something I think we all deal with at times.  And, being a taller/heavier runner, I had to learn to accept that I would never be as small as my running friends.   I have since learned that to be healthy long term and fun in social environment, it is good to just enjoy eating and not worry so much.   I did go through a phase when I struggled to recover after workouts.  I have found that a higher protein/higher fat (nuts, seeds, seafood, olive oil, chocolate of course, tabouli) diet seems to help with recovery.  I don't follow anything specific now.  I try to just make healthy decisions and try to keep things in perspective.
  
7. What’s your favorite way to recover after a race? What is your favorite post marathon indulgence?

Definitely after a marathon, I usually have a beer with friends. I don't go a day without eating lots of chocolate so I really don't limit myself before a race. So, I guess I indulge all the time! 

8. How many miles a week are you running at your peak in marathon training?

110-120 miles per week
9. What’s your best advice for preventing injury? 

Beyond the obvious (good shoes, good stability and core strength), I think recovery between workouts is key.  Slowing down on easy days and knowing when to back off.  I learned in college that hard workouts at 100% all the time is not ideal. Being able to race at 100% requires managing training intensity and recovery.  So part of recovery is knowing when something is sore or your "usual" areas of soreness and when something is different or on it's way to injury.  I have, what I call, "vulnerable" areas in my body in which I know flare up from time to time.  I keep these areas in check with soft tissue work (ART and massage).  I can train through these flareups usually but take the time work them out.  I have also pushed through things that weren't my typical areas and then ended up injured.  Listening to your gut is key and, when in doubt, have it checked out.  It is a fine balance of stressing your body to improve and overstressing. 

 10. How do you cross-train? What other exercises/ strength training do you do to supplement your running? 

I cross train on the elliptical.  It is really helpful when my legs are feeling tight.   I swam once a week last summer for 20-30 minutes and really enjoyed it.  I am not efficient at all so it felt like a harder workout to me. 

 11. How do you survive training during the cold Minnesota winters? 

I love running easy in the winter, even on the coldest days.  The harder part is doing workouts.  I use the dome for harder workouts and do some of my long runs on the treadmill. The dome has been great because it is so social.  The darkness of winter can be tough!  However,  I think the winter is a great time to build base with easy mileage.

12.   What’s your least favorite type of running workout? What’s your favorite? 

Ironically, my least favorite is probably the workout that gives me the most fulfillment.  The long LT paced workouts can be really tough mentally but feel the best when finished.  So, 3 x 3 miles at LT pace within  a 15 mile run is a tough one for me.  Chris Lundstrom (my coach) had be do 3 x 5 miles with marathon and LT pace in all 3 sets which was hard to rally for.  But, I felt like I could conquer the world afterwards.  I think we were built to challenge ourselves....to get out of our comfort zones.  So, even though they are tough, it gives me confidence and a sense of accomplishment!

For another interview with Jenna, check out this article:
http://runnersfeed.com/for-jenna-boren-sometimes-sleeping-and-eating-well-take-a-back-seat/

Thanks again Jenna for your time!
source

No comments:

Post a Comment