Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fresh New Fit: Kona Kase Follow-up

By Cool J in Minneapolis

Two weeks ago, I posted about a Fresh, New Fit- Kona Kases!  My friend Meggan highlighted this new monthly club to me, and I signed up for a three month subscription to check it out. I was excited to find that my first box arrived a few days ago. I thought it wasn't supposed to arrive until mid-April, so extra points for early arrival!


The orange box was a bit smaller than a shoebox.

 It included a variety of snacks and goodies: Cliffshots, chocolate squares, a Clif bar, caramel cups, chocolate almond butter, and more.

Yesterday, I  tried this bite sized "Perfect Foods Bar" mini.
It was almond butter flavored. I thought it was good, and a bit tastier than a Powerbar. However, the D-man didn't like it; he thought it was too dry. I tried this bar before 9 miles of hill repeats with the Calhoun Beach Running Club. It didn't upset my stomach at all, but it was pretty small and not very filling (especially since I spared a bite for the D-man!)

Today, I tried the BRUBAR, made with barley malt.

I didn't mind this bar either, but I'm sure Dusters would have hated it! He is much pickier than I am with snacks, I guess. I don't really mind the taste of energy bars in general. I ate a lot of Powerbars in college, for whatever reason (maybe they were cheap?) 

So the BRUBAR was also a little dry, but it seemed easily digestible. I ate half of it before a hot yoga session this evening, and it filled me up until it was dinner time.

Next up? Maybe this organic, nut free, gluten free caramel cup.

I'm also excited to try the chocolate almond butter. Perhaps I will try it tomorrow for breakfast on a piece of toast. 

The Kona Kase included a lot more chocolate than I would have expected. I suppose true athletes love their chocolate (just like Jenna Boren in this interview) but I'm not a huge chocolate person; I prefer a salty snack. Even so, I found my first Kona Kase to be an interesting mix. However, I'm not sure it was worth my $15/month. I'm sure the retail value of all the items added up to more than $15, and I did enjoy the variety of items. It's nice to have a little shoebox full of snacks to try before a workout, and I definitely appreciate the convenience.  But I'm not 100% sold on this yet...

*Has anyone else tried the Kona Kase? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment