Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fitting Debate: What Constitutes as a Rest Day?

By Cool J in Minneapolis

My sister Erin is training for a spring marathon (Green Bay!). She did THIS GUEST POST last year about the challenges of training for a marathon with two young kids. Additionally, (just like me), she struggles with IT Band Syndrome. Therefore, along with the time she has to allocate for running, she needs to find time to do enough cross-training, core strengthening, and PT exercises to keep the IT band from acting up. She needs to schedule all of this in, as well as those ever- important REST DAYS!

My sister and me at a holiday party

When planning out her training schedule for her spring race, she asked LL and me, What is a rest day? Is it a rest day if you do yoga?  Is it a rest day if you go for an easy run? What if you cross train a different way, such as biking or swimming? What if you do a bunch of core work? Is that still rest?

 She wasn’t sure how she could fit it all in, or what the expectation was for a “rest day.”

Does snowboarding count as a rest day?

I think the most important thing to remember is that everybody is different. While some runners’ bodies do not require any complete rest days, other runners definitely need 1-2 rest days, or one full rest day and one cross training day. Everyone is different, and you have to listen to your body. I have friends in the Calhoun Beach Running Club that rarely take rest days, and even run on Fridays before the long run. And then I have other friends who are just as successful in reaching their goals, while taking 3-4 rest days, and only running hard on 3-4 days a week.

With that said, generally, rest days can involve some light activity. Yoga, core work, a brisk walk, swimming- these are all okay options for "rest."  It all depends on your level of fitness and what your body is used to.  A more experienced athlete with a high fitness level may be training on six (two training sessions some days) days a week, but most sources agree that everyone should have at least one day of complete rest each week.

How do you know what your body needs?
I can’t really tell you that. My number one sign that I haven’t been recovering enough? IT band pain. It’s a deal breaker. When it acts up, I know I need more cross training, more rest days, and potentially more time at Uptown Natural Care Center for Active Release Technique.

Some other common signs that you may want to watch out for:

Persistent muscle soreness: You need to let your muscles repair after a long run or a tough workout. Pushing through the pain might be a good mantra on race day, but not when training. By skimping on rest, complete recovery will never occur. Your muscles will never have time to rebuild and become stronger.

Elevated resting heart rate: Take your pulse when you get out of bed in the morning to see what’s normal. An elevated resting heart rate is a sign of stress, and that stress may be from running too much or too hard.

You’re sick: If you’re sick, your body will be using energy to recover. It’s wise to take an extra rest day you’re your cold just won’t go away. Ladies, this even applies to that special time of the month, which does indeed require more energy to refuel during this time. Rest is even more important then.

You’re cranky, or unmotivated: Running is supposed to be fun and if it’s making you cranky, you may need a break.

Low energy level: Be honest with yourself and listen to your body. Sometimes we runners block out signs of fatigue, because we are so hell-bent on sticking to the training schedule and getting in those miles. Even Dr. Jenna Boren at Uptown Natural Care Center, who runs a 2:40 marathon, has told me that she doesn’t follow her coach’s schedule perfectly. If she’s feeling tired, she listens to her body and skips a workout.

Poor performance:
You had a terrible workout last night. Well everyone has a bad workout, but multiple poor workouts in a row could be a sign that your body needs a rest.

Currently, I am taking one complete rest day and one cross training day. For me right now, I feel like I have to be a little conservative, as I really don’t want my ITBS (IT band syndrome) to prevent me from running Newport…or Berlin, Germany next fall, or whatever is after that! I want to continue running marathons for decades to come, so my personal preference is to err on a slightly conservative side to prevent injury. My husband (who is a ~3:15 marathoner) currently takes one full rest day, and potentially a cross training day as well.

How many rest days do you take? What do you do on your rest days? Let me know!


Yoga- one of my favorite "rest day" options!


No comments:

Post a Comment